Every Kid's Dream

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any thoughts on putting the motor behind the cab?

I saw a 53-56 Ford cab over put on a IH bus chassis. They moved the motor to the middle, right behind the cab and put a sleeper over it. They used the IH diesel bus motor, probably shorter than the Cummins, but even at that they didn’t put a floor in the sleeper. You can still access most of it by getting under the side between frame and sleeper. He has a 20-24’ duck tailed flat bed on it.

Been sitting several years now, the old guy never drives it but won’t sell it, either. I tried to buy it last time I saw him out in it, no luck.
Bamamav, we thought of that and put a tape measure to it. It would work better as a COE. To do it with my cab and the Seagrave sheetmeral....it would be around a 228 inch wheelbase!!!

Hmmm.
Only 228 inch wheel base.... articulating front and rear steering? An articulating tandem rear end might be interesting to design...

A COE would put the roof of that cab pretty high up there too...

Don't you hate it when the tape measure gets in the way of our visions?

I've run into that a few times before, but not at this scale...

Bamamav, we thought of that and put a tape measure to it. It would work better as a COE. To do it with my cab and the Seagrave sheetmeral....it would be around a 228 inch wheelbase!!!
Not really that long when you put the vehicle size in perspective. About the same as a one ton quad cab with a long bed. Might be tough to park at Walmart though!

Not really that long when you put the vehicle size in perspective. About the same as a one ton quad cab with a long bed. Might be tough to park at Walmart though!
This was at the Redneck Rumble (last year?). I think it was a long bed crew cab to start with. Mine would need to be longer ....probably 3 or 4 feet longer.. I have longer nose, bigger cab, bigger motor.

But it would let me set the body down as low as I dared to go.
20230708_100312.jpg
20230708_100038.jpg
20230708_105816.jpg
20230708_131904.jpg

Last edited:
With a 32" tire, I can lay running boards. This is the rear wheel I had on my flatbed.
View attachment 181620

Ride height
View attachment 181621
After stewing it over for a week, this is what I have to do. Anything else is selling out. I don't care if it means poking the engine through the hood and having a big ole transmission in the cab with me. In has to be a HOT ROD!!! The grill shell needs to be on the ground.

Latest posts

Back