Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
30Chevy002.jpg

Well, the current project is on the road. And since I am a buildaholic I started collecting tin for the next project. Last fall I picked up this collection of 1930 (I think) Chevy truck sheet metal.

NewProject002.jpg

Later, this 1928 (I think) Reo was for sale at a swap meet. The Chevy was lacking doors and a back panel so the plan, however poorly conceived, was to "crash" these parts together and hopefully the result would be a unique rat rod.

TubRear005.jpg

Parts seem to attract more parts and I got a lead on a 1929 (I think) Chevy cowl with frame rails and front springs.

Looks like a pile of Chevy parts I have. You will be driving yours long before I get started. I have a 30, and a couple of 34-35s the 30 is quite a bit smaller.Here is my 30. Looks like the Rio has a similar line.
30chevypickup.jpg

Junkyard026.jpg

Monday I went to a junkyard about a hundred miles from my house as I heard there was the remains of a '30 Chevy Coupe. All that was salvageable is the right quarter panel. When I return I'll grab that. Rummaging around in the tall grass I discovered this pile of tin. It is a cowl, doors and rear panel from another 1928 Reo. Much of it is better than what I have. So it will be coming home shortly.

Last edited:
Junkyard019.jpg

This pile also intrigued me. I like the curves in the frame rails and the trunk with spare tire carrier is pretty cool.
I can't really explain what the final product will be as I keep changing my mind as I collect more parts.
In fact, I'm thinking of following GJunctionMike's lead and making a few bodies out of this mess.

Junkyard015.jpg

Also this Chevy truck cab and front tin. Looks like Billy's. 1928 or 29?
My plan is to fill my truck and trailer. What I don't use I can share with friends.

Back to the project; It will have a 292 Chevy 6 in it. Possibly turbocharged. 4 speed. Hopefully, no new parts in this build. Everything 1950's or older except for the engine, trans and rear end.

Nice pile of parts!! I love old Chevys.
I have a 29, 30, and 33 Chevy truck. I will be watching this one.

Hey bonehead, that's a 31-33 Chevy truck cab. 29-30 had square corners behind the doors. The back of your cab has round corners. 1931 was the first year of that. If it has a pop up vent on top of the cowl it's a 32-33.

Bob, you are certainly some kind of old tin magnet !! [cl
Most of us get excited to find just one of the pieces you are collecting. I'm going to have to reprogam my wife to allow me to bring home stuff like that !! :rolleyes:

Bob I can't wait to see what you come up with[P. Nothing I like more then seeing someone take on something that 90% of people would walk away from[cl. And all the good pics will make for sweet dreams tonight[dr

Wow you came across a lot of old tin! I want to find a cowl for anything 20s or 30s, just so I have a size reference and something to work with. I really want to try and make a body for a coupe or old truck. I want it to be really small though, barely a 2 seater..... Once the dodge is done or done enough, whatever, I am going on the hunt for something like that.

Latest posts

Back