46 ford rear coilover help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merc52

Ok I need coilover a for my 46 ford street rat hot rod. The estimated weight of this deal is 2000 lbs. now the question is what springs do I need to get. I have 13-15 inches of area from estimated bracket to bracket. And a max of 6 inches of travel. Help me please?

I tryed that and got imyself more confused I don't get the technical **** about the weights and all. I can make just about anything work but when it comes to the book smarts God help me.

Basically you need to know the weight you are going to support. That means don't include the differential, wheels, tires and brakes. If you know the weight of everything, you can easily weigh the tires and wheels on a bathroom scale
(they can vary a lot). Maybe you can even weigh the differential on the same scales, of not, take a guess.

If your shocks are plumb with the ground - straight up and down, the supported weight is the number you need. Speedway motors has a chart that tells the spring rate, based on the supported (or sprung) weight. So do most of the other coilover sellers and manufacturers.

If your shocks are mounted at an angle, the spring rate is needs to be increased. Use this chart to figure how much of an increase is needed.http://static.speedwaymotors.com/images/charts/how-coilovermount.gif

Ok so I am estimating the truck to weigh in a a little over 2300 lbs that would be 517.5 corner weight - say 95 lbs tires ect would be about 422.5 lbs and it says 175 lb spring rate for my unit. Would you say this is right. What have you guys used for coilover on your rods?

Latest posts

Back