1956-57 P29 Poly

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

The opportunity has come up to purchase a 1956-57 Ply Savoy more door with a Hy-Fire 277 poly and three speed manual that is supposed to be a runner. I think the motor looks really cool and way more interesting looking than a SBC.
Just want to know the pros and cons, if it would make a good motor for the next project and what I should pay for it. I haven't seen the car yet, that will happen next week.

Boat anchor.

There's little to no support for the early poly, unless you want to spend early hemi money. The bellhousing pattern is also an issue and requires a spendy adapter if you want a "modern" transmission.

That's what I understand. Others (Blue Eyed Devil?) may know better, but I'd pass...

I have a Poly motor sitting in the shop, auto tranny. Like the Doc said... hardly any performance parts so you'll need to be satisfied with the stock HP but they do look cool IMO!

BoB

Boat anchor.

There's little to no support for the early poly, unless you want to spend early hemi money. The bellhousing pattern is also an issue and requires a spendy adapter if you want a "modern" transmission.

That's what I understand. Others (Blue Eyed Devil?) may know better, but I'd pass...

I have a Poly motor sitting in the shop, auto tranny. Like the Doc said... hardly any performance parts so you'll need to be satisfied with the stock HP but they do look cool IMO!

BoB

That's the info I was looking for, despite the cool looks, I will keep looking
Thanks Guys

More carbs, headers ?

Back in the 50's the "little book" magazines advertized carb adaptors you could use to cut holes in your stock 2 barrel intake to make your own 3- 2 manifold. A few years ago I modified the Corvair combo intake -heads by machineing and adding more intake flanges, then I made a spider leg intake and holly 500 2 barrel . My brother bought the weld it your self intake kit to make a 4 -2 intake for his hemi lakes coupe.

Really cool engines and can make some decent power, but be prepared for Mopar sticker shock. Weiand used to make a 3x2 intake, but it has been discontinued and they are getting hard to come by. The Plymouth Poly (not Dodge) is very similar in design to the LA series 318-340-360, other than the heads. If you were actually interested in building one, the later '62-'66 version is the one to have. It takes the standard LA bellhousing for a 727, etc.

Just my 2 cents but to me it depends on the price and if it really is a runner, I'd have to hear and see it run first! :D

Beercan

Thanks for all the info everyone, the asking price is way to high at $1400.

WHOA! I bought a good running one with auto tranny for $350! Guy pulled it out of a running '56 Dodge (if I remember correctly) to put in a SBC! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

The very next rat I build will have a Poly 318 in it, [a '34 Dodge Brothers truck]. Some of the hurdles in front of you using a Poly are, a slightly unique belhousing before 1962, not much aftermarket help, and all of the GM guys whining because you don't want to use a small block Chev. I can help you over those hurdles. One, yes you will have a different belhousing but you already have one on this motor, and a transmission, so you're laughing; two, for aftermarket supplies look up PolySuperPac and find headers, shiny valve covers, camshafts and good stories; and three, I vote for you keeping the GM guys whining a little longer.
I have been saving pre-1962 Chrysler V-8 belhousings so I can outfit an early Hemi or an early Poly. Here is my six-pack intake for a Poly with Stromberg WW's, [the red intake]. Coolness can just bubble off a Poly.

Attachments

• 34 driversside.jpg
    34 driversside.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1669.jpg
    IMG_1669.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 23
The very next rat I build will have a Poly 318 in it, [a '34 Dodge Brothers truck]. Some of the hurdles in front of you using a Poly are, a slightly unique belhousing before 1962, not much aftermarket help, and all of the GM guys whining because you don't want to use a small block Chev. I can help you over those hurdles. One, yes you will have a different belhousing but you already have one on this motor, and a transmission, so you're laughing; two, for aftermarket supplies look up PolySuperPac and find headers, shiny valve covers, camshafts and good stories; and three, I vote for you keeping the GM guys whining a little longer.
I have been saving pre-1962 Chrysler V-8 belhousings so I can outfit an early Hemi or an early Poly. Here is my six-pack intake for a Poly with Stromberg WW's, [the red intake]. Coolness can just bubble off a Poly.

Thanks MM, but the guy just wants too much for it. All his stuff is coming up in an auction next June, I might just go then and buy it for what it's worth. :D

Those are cool looking motors. I've been to a lot of car shows and think I've only seen 3 or 4 over the years and most people don't have a clue what they are! Nice motor if you can pick one up cheap and are looking for something really different!

iSore

Latest posts

Back