How Close?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

I am planning on running my exhaust of my 89 F150, from headers to a 90*. On the passenger side there are no problems but on the drivers side there is the fuel lines. The lines are running down the inside of the frame like normal.The 90* will run under the frame. How close is too close for the exhaust and fuel lines? The steel of the frame rail will be between the 2. Thanks. Jim

When I put duals on the 84 I had, I ran both down the passenger side and then went over the driveshaft with the drivers side the best I can remember. Mine exited out behind the tires.

Yup plastic lines.

Sorry to sidetrack... I once tried to burn a brand new Ford pickup to the ground... a customer's truck and not on purpose!

I was welding too close to a line and managed to set it on fire! Sh**!!! Both back wheels were off, my partner went for the extinguisher and I slapped the wheels back on quicker than Formula 1... I pushed it out of the shop while my partner blasted the extinguisher... we saved it, but had to replace the torched line, which thankfully did not burn thru to the fuel. :eek:

Welding near plastic lines usually spells trouble, but this is 'piped' exhaust going near fuel lines, and quite a ways from the motor.
Could you wrap your fuel lines with some heat insulating matting in that area and make it even more safe?
How much lower than the frame is the exhaust pipe going to be, 1", 2" ?
Could you put a tin heat shield between the exhaust pipe and the frame?
I vote for you putting your exhaust pipes where you want them, [with some engineering thoughts], and adding some safety shielding, and get driving your truck.

Yup plastic lines. Did you exit both out the passenger side? I have been thinking that too. Thanks. Jim

No, mine went over the axle and then out both sides. Couldn’t put the spare tire under there anymore though. I always just carried it in the bed.

run them outside the frame rails and back in at the rear, unless you want them to turn out in front of the rear tires.

My original plan was to run straight back along the drive shaft then out in front of the wheels. Worked OK on the passenger side but the drivers side has the fuel tank in the way. I think I will continue outside the frame and exit in front of the rear tires. I'll do a heat shield and wrap the lines and monitor how hot it gets. Thanks all. Jim

Latest posts

Back