Florida Guys

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son & his family left the Tampa area this morning and went to the western panhandle area. He's new to Florida and didn't want to take any chances with my grandkids.

our news over here suggest 5x more horsepower than Hurricane Andrew!!..

closely followed by another hurricane (Jose)

good luck everyone !! keep safe !!!

Thanks for thinking of us. To be honest with the forum, people from other areas generally worry about these things more than we do. As always the media and powers that be can lead most people to believe that there won't be a blade of grass left standing. As it's been tracked it has shown that the winds are strong and the size of the thing is huge if you are counting the cloud banks like they do. Now that they've evacuated all of south florida, and most of everywhere else in florida too, Gas is out in most places. Stores have no water, no food. You know they've sold some crap when Dollar General closes???!? They don't even close on Christmas. The track of the storm has shifted some which throws everybody off. If it follows it's present course, the wind sheer from the Gulf of Mexico will take some of the punch out of it, along with some other conditions that storms encounter when they cross onto land. By the time the storm actually gets in my area of north central Florida, the sustained winds are not even going to be hurricane strength anymore. 50-60 mph is expected. Boys, I get that in any afternoon thunder shower around here.
The people here that usually need to go anywhere are those living on the coast or in low lying areas that could flood. The people on the coast take the storm full force and sustain most of the damage. Those people are used to judging when it's time to leave. Nowadays, they get on the tv and announce a mandatory evacuation and immediately, the gas runs short, the roads get crowded and slow to a stop, you can't find a hotel room from here to Atlanta probably. That's where I sit on it....sorry for the rant. I can't go anywhere...I'll keep what gas I have for when it's time to get somewhere. I've got enough food for a week for me and the animals. Our lakes will probably be filled again for the first time in 5 years...maybe I'll get to fish again.[P

My son & his family left the Tampa area this morning and went to the western panhandle area. He's new to Florida and didn't want to take any chances with my grandkids.

That was probably a wise move. Tampa area is in the new projected landing zone.

I hear ya ,,, thats good news , heck the way we were thinking its going to be bad ... I was hoping the by the time it reaches me here in Mexia it will be just a tropical storm ,,, ivan took so many of our trees ,but that was just because it rained for two days before the wind came .. glad to here you have it under control down there :D

our news over here suggest 5x more horsepower than Hurricane Andrew!!..

closely followed by another hurricane (Jose)

good luck everyone !! keep safe !!!

They've been huffing and puffing all week down here claiming that this was the biggest storm ever recorded. I believe they are only counting the square miles total coverage not the strength or severity. Hurricane Andrew wiped south Florida out. Not sure if that one was ever accurately recorded as it tore most of the measuring equipment up. Don't get me wrong Cat 5 (Irma) is some strong stuff but by the time it gets thru chewing up thru the state to get here, it won't be anything but a bad rain storm.

if it keeps going west we will get more of it ,,,, as I seen on fb I wish some one would give her directions to north korea

I hear ya ,,, thats good news , heck the way we were thinking its going to be bad ... I was hoping the by the time it reaches me here in Mexia it will be just a tropical storm ,,, ivan took so many of our trees ,but that was just because it rained for two days before the wind came .. glad to here you have it under control down there :D

I guess it depends on the area Y.T. We've been in drought conditions down here for about 5 years and the water holding areas were just starting to get some standing water in them here finally. We've had some pretty good rain this year and it was looking good. This storm is expected to give us 6-10 inches in my area. I guess it depends on when I start counting but I dumped 3 inches out today already. I can go for the ponds and lakes to be full again. I made a walkabout on the farm today and checked all the drainage. It's good to go.
I'll get some pix if it's picture worthy.

Hope you are all stayin' high and dry. :D :rolleyes: No pun intended, of course.

Contrary to popular belief, Florida is not completely a swamp! :D I'm inland from any coast and on a small ridge out here in the woods. The road may get a little wet from time to time but nothing I can't get thru. I'm hoping anybody near the coasts have moved somewhere else. Waiting on weather updates. Haven't seen anything since last nite and the projected area of landfall had shifted to the west coast. If it keeps moving like that we may not get much of it. Tickle the hell out of me if the damn thing went right up the gulf until it fizzles. We need the water, not the wind.

Now, that's a first for me. I just viewed videos of Tampa Bay where the rotation of the storm winds have sucked the bay dry. The water will come back in with what they call a surge. The surge is expected to be 10-15 feet above normal in down town Tampa.

Take care "small" I'll send lots of happy thoughts your way.
Being a calif firefighter for 30 i know how the media exaggerates things a little bit, "wild fire threatens millions".:eek: [P
Keep your brakes dry and keep us up dated if you have time. :D
Soltz

Latest posts

Back