Shop break in

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgerman

Had my farm shop broken into this week. We rent out the house there to help with expenses. Thought the building was secure, but these darn idiots came through my solid core wood door. Busted a hole in the middle panel. I had a steel reinforced jam to prevent a kick in.

Gonna install a steel door. Considering a motion camera set up linked to my cell phone. Sure would like to "educate" these guys. My locked gate kept their vehicle out which helped. They got some stuff, had to carry it out. Bold idiots for sure. Shop visible from the house and the road. Suggestions welcome.

Nothing in the world worse than a thief!!! Sorry for your loss....working Construction sites all my life I have come in contact with guys always selling hot tools...never, ever bought any as I had mine stolen twice...as a young guy it put me out of business until they were replaced!

to bad ya can't electrify some things around the shop to discourage this from reoccurring, but in the wash state gov,ner decree,--thieves have more rights than tax paying law abiding citizens:mad:

Later :(

Agreed this state is ran by a bunch of ninnys. I you are allowed to stop one of them with a bullet the word would get out quickly and they probably wouldn't bother you again. But that's not the way things work. Pretty much just have to let it happen

Our last house was broken into not too long after we moved in yes. Keep your front door in in broad daylight. Stole every gun I owned that was hidden throughout the house because I had not gotten my new safe yet. We added more outside lighting a better security system and cameras and never had a problem with the house again. Did have a guy digs through my work truck in the front driveway early one morning when my wife and I were both awake with our Twins when they were babies. He was not expecting some white guy in his shorts and no shoes to come outside pointing a gunat him. He dropped the stuff in his hands and ran!!

Suggestions welcome.

Big, snarling "shop dog". Dogs go nuts for things they can't see and go bump in the night... just saying, when all else fails, a barking dog can be the line a thieving coward won't cross...

I just saw a commercial for a cell phone camera product like you described... great idea and anything you can do to step up security is a good thing, but prevention is always better than evidence of the crime, or helplessly watching it happen on your phone. :mad:

Thieving cowards prey on easy targets. Signage, lighting and the appearance of "somebody home" are often enough to change their coward minds and send them elsewhere...

Twice I've come home to a burglary in progress! Luckily they went out the back both times! Cameras are the best answer... even fake ones keep most thieves at bay! I hate thieves for sure & would have no problem blasting anyone inside my home or shop!!!

BoB

When someone tried to break into my garage at Christmas time 2 years ago, I reinforced the jam, put a deadbolt on the door, and installed cameras.

Don't get cameras that only record motion. There are lots of camera systems that have a hard drive (you could hide it somewhere) and record continuously. I know several companies/people with motion-only cameras that missed a crime because the cameras didn't catch it. With my hard drive I get about 11 days of recording history before it records over itself, and I can view the live stream anytime on my phone. You'd be amazed at the number of strange events I've caught on my street because I have those cameras recording continuously.

This guy deters any burglaries in my home and he hears EVERYTHING outside!!

Attachments

• received_502954806552431.jpeg
    received_502954806552431.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 31
Someone tried but failed trying to kick my garage door in...made repairs
and reinforced the jambs with steel...but if they really want in....they'll
find a way...pretty sure if you back a truck into the garage door you could
push it off the tracks walk in and load up...:eek:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 64
I make sure my shop is a crowded total disorganized mess. I figure if I can't find/get to anything, thieves won't either. :p

Sorry for your loss. Nothing worse than a thief. I have a lot of no trespassing signs. And any one who knows me, my wife or my daughter knows I shoot and don't miss and the women are better shots than I am. So far been lucky.

Sorry for your loss. Nothing worse than a thief. I have a lot of no trespassing signs. And any one who knows me, my wife or my daughter knows I shoot and don't miss and the women are better shots than I am. So far been lucky.

:eek: I`ll be the guy wearing wooden shoes... and I`ll knock first :D

I've had a generator stolen out of my front garage and a generator stolen out of my back garage. Nothing else taken. Apparently the thieves didn't think any of the rest of my junk was worth stealing.[S

Dutch, if I hear wooden shoes clomping up the driveway, I won't shoot.:D

Update. Was out there Thursday night for 3 hours and got a Subaru full of tools out. This was good because they broke in again Friday night. This time garage door shattered. They left a 5 foot breaker bar with spade tip. Spent last night there with 2nd amendment protection. Goal was catch em in act and call authorities. No show. We up til 4am. Two of my vehicles are damaged now. Tried to steal my GMC. Need new ignition. Now I have 6 motion lights....several signs. More to do. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Attachments

• 20191107_205507.jpg
    20191107_205507.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20191109_123103.jpg
    20191109_123103.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 27
I went out to get my early morning paper once, something didn't look right...but I hadnt had my coffee yet. 3 hours later, i am on the phone...walking back and forth, looking out the front window, when I noticed the different thing: My 87 Grand Prix was missing.

Fortunately it was found two days later, in the Shriners parking lot a couple blocks away, full of wet clothes, a broken steering column, and missing a half a tank of gas. Probably used in some crime, it had rained the night it was stolen.

Dogs are great, I have a Sheprador, (black lab shepherd), a sweetheart, until somebody approaches his yard. But!

A doggy needs care and feeding, if you are away for a particular time, the cam and phone app are the way to go. I get a kick out of the porch pirates caught on the Youtube vids with the cameras.

Latest posts

Back