pics of exposed IFS?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one will be on a fendered Rod. It is from Fatman with SS upper and lower A-arms. I don't think it would look to bad exposed. IMO

DSC_0007-1.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

this is a heidts super ride in a 29 studebaker with a square tube frame, the front end from heidts is actually for a 32 ford, the lowest front end they make.brainard, christmas and tator's new shoes 018.jpg

I feel much of the resistance to exposed ifs is its placement under the motor.
Tube axles look bad when in the same position on a fenderless car or truck.
I would like to see a creatively designed ifs in a forward placement.:cool:

If you look in the "Builds" section under "1931 Chev Coupe in Minnesota" you will see the same front end installed by the same super builder:D (Tator) in another rod. It's around page 10 in the builds section.

If I build another car I am going to use this front end for the ride quality it provides.

Last edited:
i found the build on the 31, looks great, i cant afford that suspension, plus i think i'd have to make a new frame since mine has the 75 nova front end. i'm just gonna use the stock control arms, but i am doing a little custom work to the lower control arms to fit average size shocks, but it will sit really low.

My daughter had a 5 series BMW. The complete self-contained ifs could be removed with 4 bolts. Actually the irs was a self contained unit as well.
Bolt on a couple of 2x3 rect tubes to these units and have an instant exotic chassis.

My daughter had a 5 series BMW. The complete self-contained ifs could be removed with 4 bolts. Actually the irs was a self contained unit as well.
Bolt on a couple of 2x3 rect tubes to these units and have an instant exotic chassis.

that'd be sweet we got an old 535i but i would be murdered if i took parts from that

I think if you run exposed IFS the way to make it look the cleanest is with inboard coilovers. Not easy to make but a crafty fella could pull it off.

There are companies that make tubular a-arms for Novas. Global West and Hotchkis.

yeah i found 1 comapany, i'm sure its one of those it was like $579 just for the lowers, but its so hard to find them for mine cause my front end is a 75 :( but it rides great, i'd rather have tubular but i want to pay like $300 at most for all of them

well here is mine, i dont think it looks too bad, it handles good has good brakes and was cheap, 93 mazda truck
standard.jpg

at this angle you cant even see it, Tracy
standard.jpg

well here is mine, i dont think it looks too bad, it handles good has good brakes and was cheap, 93 mazda truck
standard.jpg

at this angle you cant even see it, Tracy
standard.jpg

that looks pretty cool, did you make the shocks run through the control arms or is that how they are stock?

I think if you run exposed IFS the way to make it look the cleanest is with inboard coilovers. Not easy to make but a crafty fella could pull it off.

I was reading this thread prepairing to respond "no way to make it look good" then I saw the pics that Gastrick posted, and I have to say, that looks good.

I have only been into hotrods for a few years now. Thats after racecars, boats, motorcycles, off road trucks, and now hotrods. It seems the more I see and learn, the more refined my taste is getting. I have many more likes and dislikes than I did 3 years ago, however they are still changing.

I do have to say, the stock a arms dont look good.

its your opinion if they do or dont look good, i run stock arms from a 75 nova and i'm fine with them they ride great, its easy and cheap to get parts for. Hopfully after some saving $ mine will be bagged and that will also be cheap and easy. i'm not into lookin like everyone else, i'm glad most hot rodders dont like it exposed, mine will just stand out more.

Latest posts

Back