Fess up!!! What kinda car did you drive in High School!?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in '91 dad already knew I had a heavy foot @ 15 yrs old. Thought he'd curb that by conning me into buying an '82 LeBaron w/ a 2.6L Mitsubishi 4cyl. Blew that up twice and shelled a tranny in under a year.

Then moved on to a '82 T-bird w/302. Ran into a parked car while messing around with firecrackers the first night I had it. Fixed it, next day after I got it back, wrecked it on the back end of a dump truck. Fixed it again, blew up the 302 that winter...replaced it, drove it for three years, then jumped it off a field driveway-Fly on, thunderbird fly!

I'm class of '72. When I was 15, I wanted to buy a '58 belair with a bad motor and a overdrive 3 speed. My Dad said if I was going to get a car i was going to be something decent so no '58. Got a '65 Mustang fastback instead. 289/automatic/dual exhaust/ chrome steel slot wheels.

I think I have everyone beat. '79 Plymouth Volare 2-door, with the slant six and auto. Cinnamon brown, brown interior and the brown vinyl "landau" top! Had 50k miles and the tires were "fiberglass belted" white walls, I think original or close to it. Got it free from Grandma. Chick magnet? Uh no, not in 1991, or ever.

Despite only having 50k miles, it broke down constantly. Sold it to some sucker and bought a $700 '66 bug that I had alot of fun with.

I posted the cars I drove back in the begining of this thread, but when they broke down I was forced to use one of my parents cars. My mom drove a Corvair and my dad drove a Renault! I'm talking 60's model here, little teeny cars that if you were lucky enough to maybe coerce a blind chick in it with you still didn't have enough room to do anything!!!!..[cl..CR

I drove a '48 Chevy pickup 3-window I bought for $300 from my buddy! It was about 10 different colors because I had the idea I'd sand it down & paint it myself, never got out of primer! The clutch slipped & the brakes were almost nonexistent. Finally got rid of it & got a killer red '51 Chevy 5-window pickup. Stupidly I sold it for a sports car because my girlfriend at the time liked sports cars, man was I stupid! She was really foxy but didn't last long and I was stuck with a stupid foreign piece of junk!

Beercan

in high school i had a 78 mercury monarch 2 door 302 and auto. silverish color . i saved and saved and finaly bought a set of crager street pro's .for it . still have those wheels after all these years .

For transportation in high school had the trusty LPC's. Tho, had a few cars around that I messed with. 63 Olds F85 w/ the 215 V8. This became my 1st stock car. Won 2 track titles with it. 65 Olds Holiday ended up as a demo derby car that I qualified for the 100 car derby that was on Wide World of Sports. 63 Datsun 1200 3 seater. My first engine rebuild a was still running in 80 when I was last in NY.

i was kinda the car guy in school with my 79 camaro and my SVO mustang but we all had that one un cool car and mine was a 87 cavalier that was rusty and blue everyone called in the blue bomber. I tore that poor thing up doing reverse neutral drops in the rain to get all sideways...Me and my band in high school jumped more hills and tracks. i dont know how it even survied. The day i bought my mustang i dad wanted to sell the cavalier but i couldnt. I felt i had the right to destroy it myself. So later in the year i stripped it and ran in in are local fair demo derby,,,,,,,,,Got to love having a car addiction

SIC
SETTY

I posted the cars I drove back in the begining of this thread, but when they broke down I was forced to use one of my parents cars. My mom drove a Corvair and my dad drove a Renault! I'm talking 60's model here, little teeny cars that if you were lucky enough to maybe coerce a blind chick in it with you still didn't have enough room to do anything!!!!..[cl..CR

I'm with 55--What I drove and what I owned were often different:p .. MY cars were a 55 Ford Sunliner (convertable) with a 292--popups and 3/4 cam, and after that dropped a rod, a 51 Chevy Busines Coupe with a 261-2 2bbls (ole lady in a Caddy sideswiped it-still own it). A whole string of $15 50ish Chevy cars that ended in the river when they quit. In late 69, Got a 59 Vette from a buddy who dissapeared in Nam. Sold that in 75 and bought a 10 wheeled stretched bob truck and hauled hay outta Kansas for years..

My drivers (mom cars)-- 59 Ford Galaxy(learned how to put trannies in-6times), 65 Ford 302, Renault Dauphine (rolled it, then caught fire-got billed for burning up the pavement). Mom was verrrry forgiving.

Ah da goodoledayz.

PA41

Class of 94 and started with a $200 70 impala more door and finished with a 70 skylark 350 auto.She was blue with a white top and interior,ralley wheels and white letter tires,twice pipes and a posie rear end.Should of never let her go.............ahhhhh,the good times:eek:

Cool Thread !!

I am still a young buck(graduated in 95') but definately in the wrong generation I had a 86 Nissan Sentra but left that parked most of the time and always drove my dad's 68 Chevy stepside pickup,283 pushing about 350 H.P.with a 4 speed behind it which we had gone trough 9 of them and I blew the motor skyhigh one summer and he made me work all summer to pay for the motor to be rebuilt! Loved that truck.Now I drive a 63 Chevy II [cl

I am still a young buck(graduated in 95') but definately in the wrong generation I had a 86 Nissan Sentra but left that parked most of the time and always drove my dad's 68 Chevy stepside pickup,283 pushing about 350 H.P.with a 4 speed behind it which we had gone trough 9 of them and I blew the motor skyhigh one summer and he made me work all summer to pay for the motor to be rebuilt! Loved that truck.Now I drive a 63 Chevy II [cl

If you're a young buck I don't know what that'd make me...

CLASS OF 05

Not a car, but at 14 all I could get a license for was a motorcycle. My first was a 1954 Cushman Eagle. I don't know if it was a local thing or not, but every young boy here in Middle Tn wanted an Eagle or a Mustang. (cycle that is)

54eagle.jpg

I acquired my first car in a little town called Carpinteria, California. A 1948 Chevrolet 2 door for a big $45. I did have to buy a voltage regulator, which I think was around $3. So for $48 I was off and running. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of that car. When I left California, I left the 48 behind, trading it for a 1941 45 cubic inch Harley. We threw the Harley in a u-haul trailer and brought it back to Tn. Over the remaining years in high school I owned a variety of cars, 1959 Metropolitan, 1957 Dodge Custom Royal (hemi powered), 1963 Volkswagen, 1964 Falcon Sprint, !965 Falcon Futura, 1953 Henry J (olds powered). Also owned a variety of motorcyles including a 61 BSA, 65 Yamaha Catalina, 66 Yamaha Big Bear Scrambler, and a Triumph Tiger Cub.

1961BSA.jpg

66yamahabigbear.jpg

scan0003.jpg

The 60's were a great time to be a teenager. I had great friends and had a great times which are very cherished memories.

Drewski

1966 olds cutlass 4 door ($200), 1973 Toyota Celica ST ($200), 1977 Dodge Aspen ($375) had to put a new Valve in and lap it myself Dad would not work on the car for me, 1963 Pontiac Catalina 2 door ($500) wish I still had that one.

67 Dart w/slant six
68 Coronet 440

right after HS joined the Army and bought a 71 Nova BB 4 spd
It all kinda got responsible like after I got married, 4cyl this, 6cyl that, economy minded unitl after the kids got grown and then back to having fun again....LOL

Latest posts

Back