Hercules

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks much better with the grille longer!

Did you test drive it after installing the watt's link?

Yes, much improved, no more changing direction in the middle of a turn :eek: - nice to have it go where I point it :cool: Still some play somewhere up front tho, the steady bearing on the steering shaft not really tight to the DD shaft, need to shim it somehow, also discovered the left kingpin is loose in the axle end :(. I put in new kingpins, bushings, etc., but that may require pulling the axle to have it bushed and reamed, a machine shop job - bummer....

My long awaited Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold finally came yesterday. Amazon has been stringing me along for 3 months, then the seller cancelled the order :mad: I went to Speedway and they had it delivered in 6 days [cl
If you've never had the pleasure of changing the intake on an FE Ford engine, let me just say that you'll never complain about doing it on a boring SB Chevy again! Rockers and pushrods all have to come off 'cause the pushrods go thru the intake - at least it shaves off about 20 lbs and looks more purty - also solved the oil leak at the rear of the intake that spewed oil onto my nice shiny headers. I guess that's punishment for putting on shiny parts on an engine that had sat for 20 yrs.....

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4251.JPG
    IMG_4251.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4252.JPG
    IMG_4252.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 92
Doing interior panels, put a flannel blanket with a field car image on it on the back wall just for something different - (didn't have any leopard print stuff like Torchie :D) Carpet and the brown on the quarter panels are leftovers from the Packard..

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4254.JPG
    IMG_4254.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 119
Cool idea with the blanket!

Glad to hear you got some of the front end issue solved. It sounds like that king pin is the solution to the rest of your problems.

So I'll see it and you in a couple weeks in Radium? :p[ddd

Cool idea with the blanket!

Glad to hear you got some of the front end issue solved. It sounds like that king pin is the solution to the rest of your problems.

So I'll see it and you in a couple weeks in Radium? :p[ddd

Yep, did a bush fix on the king pin for now, more improvement.
Sorry Colin, I won't be making it to Radium, waited to long to make my mind up and all the hotels are booked except the crazy expensive ones, not keen on dropping $1000.00 for 2 nights :(
Going to the Langley Cruise In this weekend though, only a 4 hr drive, probably a couple thousand cars there, everyone is eager to go after a 2 year hiatus... will take pics.

Ah darn! Even the place we stay has gone up this year apparently. All the room rates are a rising, I guess.

I hope you have fun in Langley! I've always heard great things about that show!

Doing research on changes to the front suspension on the Packard when suddenly the light bulb in my brain turned on with regard to the Hercules front end troubles. While installing the Watts link helped, there was still some bump steer - I've been chasing small amounts of play in various components, thinking that was the problem - NOT!! My original Panhard bar mounting was backwards, with the frame mount on the right side and the axle mount on the left - it should be mounted to the frame near the pitman arm on the steering box, with the axle mount on the right. Then the drag link and Panhard bar move in similar arcs, eliminating bumpsteer. I've done two other cars with a similar air bagged solid axle and hairpins with a Panhard bar and they tracked fine - by pure fluke, I had mounted the Panhards the right way and didn't even know it .... :eek:
Pics tomorrow of design #3

Latest posts

Back