Thread: Two questions
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 10:39 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

We were taught the basics in Ag class, and got some hands on experience. Stick and torch, Mig or wire welding wasn't that popular yet, nor was Tig. I welded on a construction site, Govt job, got certified by the Army Corps of Engineers to weld on the site. Got better the more I welded. This was on heavy gauge steel. Learned how to weld without blowing through, and learned how to cut with a rod when a torch wasn't around. Ever try cutting a #9 rebar with a stick welder? When I left that job, it was several years before I picked up a welder again, and it was just like starting over, I had to relearn a lot of what I used to know. Finally bought myself a gasless mig, 110 volt China box, learned how to use it pretty good, then it got stolen. I replaced it with a 110 volt Lincoln Handy Mig, gas/ gasless, it's a much better machine. I still use my old Lincoln 220 volt buzz box stick welder for heavier gauge metal, but for sheet metal or thin stuff I use the Mig with flux core wire, still haven't gotten a tank yet for gas.

I can't lay down pretty beads anymore, eyesight just isn't what it was even with glasses, but seldom have a problem with welds breaking. But, I do own a couple of grinders, if it needs to be pretty I can always smooth it out. I'd rather have to fix a blow through and know I got good penetration than have a pretty weld that is just on the surface.