My "Rat Rod" mailboxes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfdcruiser

I rarely post on here but thought I would share my two mailboxes I made from an old 40's hood not even sure what it was from. Sorry I don't have any build pics it seems I always take pics at the end but am so into the build I forget to snap shots of the process. Any way I got the idea from some websites that sold versions of these in wood for way over $100. I just bought the cheap Wally word mail box for $8 and cut up a trashed hood I had lying around. The hot rods motor is from an old pennzoil promotional lunch cooler they were giving away with the purchase of a case of oil. I have the hot rod one mounted up and I am waiting to see if it survives for awhile (I knocked this one out in about a day so not too attached) then I will replace it with the firetruck (which took more time and is my profession). hope you like'em.

Attachments

• 102_0586.jpg
    102_0586.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_1374.jpg
    100_1374.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 102_0591.jpg
    102_0591.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 102_0589.jpg
    102_0589.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 93
Those are cool!! Build another one so you can take pictures of the process. :D

Where did yo get the grill sticker for the firetruck?

Thanks for the positive feed back. Sam good eye on the firetruck grill it was the only thing left of my old store bought plastic mailbox which I paid $50 for. It was a plastic shaped body that covered the regular box in the shape of a '33 ford till some kid ripped it off and only left the grill. That's why I made the hot rod one (it weighs about 20 lbs and is fully welded) to see if it survives (I also put up a cctv camera to see if I can catch the punk). My neighbor is a retired railroad engineer and I plan on making him an old locomotive mailbox for christmas I will post pics the build on that one.

Since it's steel now, you could electrify it. :D

When I still lived at home, we always had a wasps nest in the mailbox. Every year. My Dad and the mailman were friends from high school, so Dad would never get rid of the nest and the mailman would always try to shove the mail clear to the back of the box. Now that's friendship! [ddev

Ingenious! I love em. But ---- in my area they wouldn't survive the baseball bat attacks. Can't wait to see the RR Loco box. I would love one of those myself. I actually saw one years ago and have kicked myself since for not getting it. Build On!
Perley

Ingenious! I love em. But ---- in my area they wouldn't survive the baseball bat attacks. Can't wait to see the RR Loco box. I would love one of those myself. I actually saw one years ago and have kicked myself since for not getting it. Build On!
Perley

"Ingenious! I love em. But ---- in my area they wouldn't survive the baseball bat attacks".

I had a buddy in High School who's family mailbox kept getting bashed. Then his Dad decided to put a stop to it by buying a new box and he filled it with high strength concrete. He put numbers on it and reset it just like the old one. The next thing you know, they found the stupid idiots in the ditch in front of their house a couple of nights later after they bashed that solid concrete box. The kid doing the bashing had a concussion from the backlash of the bat hitting him in the face and head! [cl No more mailbox bashing after that. :D

Nicely done work on the hot rod boxes too!

T1

haha they had similar story like that on CSI..except the kid broke his arm and their car lost control and hit a tree and the kids died and the guy went to jail for manslaughter or something like that for knowingly messing with a mailbox by putting the concrete in it

"Ingenious! I love em. But ---- in my area they wouldn't survive the baseball bat attacks".

I had a buddy in High School who's family mailbox kept getting bashed. Then his Dad decided to put a stop to it by buying a new box and he filled it with high strength concrete. He put numbers on it and reset it just like the old one. The next thing you know, they found the stupid idiots in the ditch in front of their house a couple of nights later after they bashed that solid concrete box. The kid doing the bashing had a concussion from the backlash of the bat hitting him in the face and head! [cl No more mailbox bashing after that. :D

Nicely done work on the hot rod boxes too!

T1

i like that mentality, myself, but in this day and age the mailbox owner would probably get sued!!:mad:

Yeah and my neighbors would definitely sue. They have turned me in three or four different times for having cars in my yard with no success on their part(I keep everything very orderly and organized and to me and probably most car people it is very clean and not junky ((even if it was junky, which it is not, the last time I checked we lived in America)). I have a strong suspicion one of their kids vandalized my first mailbox (hence the cctv camera). To top it all off the two neighbors that are giving me all the grief are firemen too! and they never say anything bad to my face but I hear all about it from other firemen! Well thanks for the chance to vent a little.

Latest posts

Back