My 40 Dodge Truck Build - Maybe a 41 LOL

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So as you may know I am using 2 upper grills to fabricate my front grill shell. I had to cut & weld the hell out of the original grill to locate the cuts / slots to fit over the frame rails for proper fitment.

My wife has reminded me many times that the ole girl had made it over 80 years before getting cut up and turned into a Hot Rod. It always went in one ear and out the other, and never bothered me. So as I slide off the tester grill and slid on the one I'll be using, the idea of sending that grill to the scrap yard made me sad.

More sad than I am willing to elaborate on. After shutting of the lights and walking out the door, I went back in told her I would epoxy her and paint her just like the one that will be on the truck and I'll hang her on the wall or make a yard art piece out of her. Just a lil emotional tonight.

I've been holding onto parts from previous builds that I too am very reluctant to get rid of.
In fact, a few are from the first parts cars I used to build the 33 Pontiac.

Worked on the lower grill last couple nights. The 3 grill bars pictured on each side had to be cut short of the frame rails to be able to slide the grill on. To make matters worse the tips of the frame rails since angled in are little more than an inch narrower than where the grill is going to sit.

I was going to end it with a flat or a round but it all looked lousy. Then I got the idea to cut the grill ends at the center of the donor grill (that I was gona save) off and use that to end the rails. Came out nice.....needs a little bondo. The one side will be fixed, the other will be able to flex to get the grill on, then had an inside strut to secure it.

I'm happy with how it turned out. Now to wait for the stinking radiator..... 3 more weeks....was supposed to be in stock.....arrrg

Some pics

Attachments

• DSCF6029.jpg
    DSCF6029.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF6030.jpg
    DSCF6030.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF6031.jpg
    DSCF6031.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF6039.jpg
    DSCF6039.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 19
That worked out well. [cl[cl I hear ya on the parts supply issue, you search and find the parts in stock, pay for them then get an email saying shipping will be delayed due to supply issues.

I can't remember exactaly but when I set up my rear suspension I had to maintain a shock angle. Not ready to build just yet but will need to fab a set of shock / headlight brackets. Can you guys tell me about front shock angle? Sideways and front to back tilt? Thanks fella's

Headlights

My headlights arrived today! There in great shape. 34 Buick with a single mounting stud at the bottom. There's a bulb socket on the bottom, maybe for a directional?

Attachments

• DSCF6045.jpg
    DSCF6045.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 16
Hey Guys.... Just checking in. I've been putting in 10 or so hours a week over the last couple weeks but no real pictures to share. Still waiting for the radiator then I can go to town on the radiator support, grill bracketry and the grill shell.

In the meantime I'm long blocking the cab with a guide coat and 120. Another couple days and I can get to the roof, re-prime and hit it with 320 wet. It's very straight and very satisfing to me to guide coat block. Going slow with the shoulder....operated shoulder is great, it's the other side.

Attachments

• DSCF6040.jpg
    DSCF6040.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back