Second Wind - a Packard Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got busy putting the floor together, starting at the rear.
Needed a small drop section to tie to the lower trunk lip, made a nice big access hole to get to the fuel tank, filler, sender, etc.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4516.JPG
    IMG_4516.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4519.JPG
    IMG_4519.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 55
Nice.... Electric bead roller I presume? I have a hand crank and it's worthless.....you need 4 arms (with good shoulders that is). What gauge & material is that ZZ?

Electric? I wish!! Yeah my shoulder is sore too now.... Using 18 ga. - don’t look too close at the lines - it’s tough to keep it on the line, hold a big piece up and crank it through. I welded a wheel on to it ‘cause it’s often too hard to just move the crank handle .

build a table around the bead roller a tad under center level. I have an electric beader but with 2 hands on a big panel it`s still a pain to see where you go.

More floor [;)
Now that the body is stabilized, it was OK to remove all the tube bracing, also making it possible to put in the floors without being a contortionist...:D
The plates with all the bolts are some of the mounting points for a 10 point cage. Once the floors are done, bracing goes back in before the top chop operation.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4521.JPG
    IMG_4521.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4522.JPG
    IMG_4522.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 94
Back to work on it for a bit, knee surgery coming on the 28th will put a hold on progress again..... :(
I jumped right in on a total rehash of the front end, getting rid of the parallel leafs and creating a 4 link coilover setup. Main reason for the change is that the leaf springs would have projected 3" out of the front fenders on either side of the grill - something my anal self just couldn't live with. Shorter leafs would have possibly worked but would ride very harshly.. The 4 link makes the front end easily adjustable and ride height is easy to change and tune - I may get longer shocks for more travel, have to see once it gets more weight on it, upper mounts are easy to change.
Steering box can now be mounted lower, letting me do a redesign of the engine mounts, something that was also bugging me. Lessons learned from the Hercules steering issues led me to pay attention to the geometry of the Panhard bar and drag link, they will be both in line with each other for zero bumpsteer!
Debating whether to post this change on the pork since I already got flamed for a 4 link out back, this change might get me vaporized [ddd

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4534.JPG
    IMG_4534.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4540.JPG
    IMG_4540.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4535.JPG
    IMG_4535.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4541.JPG
    IMG_4541.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4536.JPG
    IMG_4536.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 46
Good question! Basically I didn't like the look of how low the lower link would be at the rear, and I don't think it will cause any real changes in the castor thru suspension travel....
I guess lookin good trumps geometry...:cool:

I’d skip the front end update over on the HAMB. Some of that bunch would get their panties in a wad for sure. I’ve see coilovers on several pics of old gassers, iirc Ohio George’s 33Willys had them. If it wasn’t his it was one like it.

Latest posts

Back