1946 Chevy 1.5 ton

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psycho Kustoms

hello,
are there any differences from 1/2 ton to 1.5 ton front axles? i just picked up a 1.5 ton complete truck and was wondering what i should do with the front suspension.im building a low chopped rod and kinda wanna use as much as i can from the truck.any suggestions?
Pete @ Psycho Kustoms

heres the truck.....and heres what im looking to build....well....minus the shinny stuff!!

hayley001.jpg

hayley002.jpg

0806cct_07_z1946_chevy_truckfront_r.jpg

Great starting point. I was looking for a chevy like yours when I came across the Ford I'm working on. I think you'll find that the 1 1/2 ton axle is wider and heavier than a 1/2 ton axle. I would recommend a late 50's / early 60's chevy straight axle. It will make your life easier in the long run.

Yep, the whole works is bigger and heavier, as far as the frame and running gear goes. I have an identical truck, except a 1945 1.5 ton. The end result for mine will be close to what your looking at, only it's going to be shiny, and built as a dually. The 1/2 ton running gear is lighter and smaller than what you will have. You'll find the sides of the frame have large plates riveted to it to increase the strength, so it could be classed as a 1.5 ton truck. I plan on removing mine (side plates) and see how bad the rust is behind the plate/frame. I know rust has formed in there, the plate has a few 'wows' in it, but the frame looks uneffected...so far. I've toyed with the idea of dropping the front axle, but it's a big heavy bruiser, I don't know if I can. There's lots of frame length there, so it can be 'Zd' without any problem. Then again, this stuff may be to heavy for what you have in mind, and a custom frame, and different running gear would work better. That will depend on what you want for a final end result. The one cool thing about the stock frame is the depth, being as tall as it is, it would except a healthy notch for the body to sit in and still retain lots of strength. And if boxed, even more so. Channelled without moving the floor up, how cool is that? I'm interested in how you will proceed, keep us informed. :) Sniper

you guys are great!!! im planing on using this Kustom chassis i built last year for a previous project,the plan is to cut off the IFS on the chassis and Z the 46 front clip on.guess i need to find a 1/2 ton axle...will the spindles and brakes/steering work off the 46?...heres a pic of the new chassis im gonna use.

hayley004.jpg

Picture090-1.jpg

Picture088-1.jpg

Steering box and column shouldn't be a problem if you don't mind manual steering. Spindles are going to be huge on an axle the size your looking at. King pins won't be anywhere close to the same size. The drum brakes are quite large being 1 1/2 ton, may have a hard time installing a 15" rim over them, considering it has 20" rims on it now. Then there's the fact that parts haven't be made for it now for over 60 years, might be a bit tough finding pieces if you need something. Not trying to rain on your parade, but you might want to look at keeping the same parts, from the same donor vehicle if at all possible. (Axle and spindles) That way everything matches and is sized properly. You'll need to decide if you want to stay with the parallel spring set up, or go with the single buggy spring style with a lighter front axle. Decisions, decisions, decisions!!:D Sniper

Just an after thought, what about a tube axle? Find suitable spindles and build the axle to match the spindles, and the suspension style you want? Not trying to spend your money for you...just throwing it in there for consideration as another option. You may be able to go disc brakes if you like. Sniper

HMMMMMMMMM.....now ya got me flippin through my Speedway Bible...looks like i can go hub to hub for around a grand.Hmmmmmmm....i realy like the look of radius rods up front too....well....gotta get the 46 apart and take it from there! im gonna post pics throughout the complete teardown and build up so i can get your opinions.anyone got a frontend for sale that might work for what im doing?

Just an after thought, what about a tube axle? Find suitable spindles and build the axle to match the spindles, and the suspension style you want? Not trying to spend your money for you...just throwing it in there for consideration as another option. You may be able to go disc brakes if you like. Sniper

discs are the way to go for me..thing is....where do i start? what do i buy first?

funny thing is...i got the truck just for the cab,but fugured id try to use everything i could off it to keep costs down.most of the cars we build,the customers seem to always go with a mustangII front suspension.i dont want to go that route with this build,i realy like the drop axle look.

I hear ya. I want the straight axle up front too. I have a lot of stuff to figure out as well. This one is going to have to wait a bit so I can get some other projects out of the way first. I don't have any answers for you that will take care of all the little stuff that crops up. You know, make a change here, to only have to make another change to accommodate that change, and on down the line. I'm kind of winging too. I'm trying to do this with minimal changes so I can keep a lot of the stock stuff in play. My saving grace is the clutch, pressure plate etc. are all new, brakes are as well,....about 25 years ago. ( I'm runnin on NOS:D) Who ever started to redo this one started on the chassis first. I really doubt if I'll be able to wear it all out.;) So that's one reason I'm keeping the big stuff intact, and going the dually route. Keep asking, someone will give you a good lead on the brake availability, once you decide which spindles your going to use. Sniper

chevy

excellent choice on ur cab, and i see alot of usable parts there. i went with the same cab on mine, i ended up using a 50's van axle with 1940 ford delux front spindles and drums. made my own radius rods and frame. as far as the 1.5 ton stuff i tried to fit 1/2 ton spindles but the king pins were diff. so i sold the complete f.e. to a restorer. with the 1.5 ton frame and used the cash to buy what i needed. good luck and post lots of pics. i'm diggin the frame and scoop so far! dp1

Attachments

• DSCF0017 (5).jpg
    DSCF0017 (5).jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF0011 (3).jpg
    DSCF0011 (3).jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 44
excellent choice on ur cab, and i see alot of usable parts there. i went with the same cab on mine, i ended up using a 50's van axle with 1940 ford delux front spindles and drums. made my own radius rods and frame. as far as the 1.5 ton stuff i tried to fit 1/2 ton spindles but the king pins were diff. so i sold the complete f.e. to a restorer. with the 1.5 ton frame and used the cash to buy what i needed. good luck and post lots of pics. i'm diggin the frame and scoop so far! dp1
Thats one BADDASS truck.thanks for the info.iv got alot to think about!:confused:

Latest posts

Back