4 link mount question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Az33

I am in the process of setting up my rear suspension. It is a 33 Chevy frame that will be completely boxed in. I have sectioned about 3.5 feet out of the frame and Z'd it. My plan is to bag it and have it lay frame when aired out.
I want to do a parallel 4 link setup to save space under the bed. I want to mount the bars outside the frame. The bed sides will fit between the frame and link bars. In order to minimize chopping up the bed sides I want to mount my bars similar to a hairpin mount, allowing for only one hole drilled in each side as the lower link will be just below the frame.
My question(s) is/are can this be done and is it safe. Most bar mounts I see have a fixed width between two sides that keeps a stagnant amount of play for the ends. Can the ends be bolted through the bar link end, enter through a tube that is welded through the frame on both sides and secured on the opposite side? My concern would be this would not allow free movement and restrict/wear the bar ends when articulating.... whew, hope that made sense. I have attached a few pics and a sketch of my idea as well as a hairpin type mount I am referring to.

Attachments

• IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 53
I'm a little rusty on this stuff, but I'm thinking you want a double shear mount on those front bolts. Basically add a bracket sticking out from the frame so that the links mount in between the bracket and frame.

Double shear mounts are best, but many, many hot rods are running 4 bar suspensions on single shear frame mounts.

I think your plan is sound and safe, assuming you're not throwing a ton of power at it...

Last edited:
Double shear mounts are best, but many, many hot rods are running 4 bar suspensions on single shear frame mounts.

I think your plan is sound and safe, assuming you're not throwing a ton of power at it...

Thanks, thats great news! Its just an old crate 350 and a T5, but I can't promise not to spin the tires a little here and there...:)

X2^^^^
Make sure you use grade 8 bolts 5/8" diameter minimum.

OK, had planned on 9/16, but 5/8 sounds even better, thanks.

I have no advice, just wanted to say we are glad to see you are still working on this. :cool:

Ya, thanks, still chipping away at it. It sat for way too long, but I'm pretty motivated again and working on it pretty regularly now.

Latest posts

Back