My 1941 Dodge Truck Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhead

Yes, it's finally my turn to get a build thread! :D

I bought a 1941 Dodge truck a few months ago.

2009-10-171211005.jpg

I tore it down and only used the cab and title. I also started collecting parts, which include the power train, front axle, brakes, suspension, etc....

I started designing the truck in Solidworks. I came up with something like this:
1.jpg

The exposed parts of the frame are water jetted, and the part on which the cab sits is just regular 2x4 tubing. I sent the CAD filed to the water jetter and began fabricating the 2x4 section of the frame.

2010-03-08174242.jpg

2010-03-08183509.jpg

In the mean while, I picked up another Caddy engine. It's a 1970 Cadillac 500 with the transmission that I picked up for $150. It'll need some refreshing, but it was cheaper than even a core.

The engine made my cherry picker cry:
caddy500.jpg

My other engine in the back ground. It's a 1973 Cadillac 500 that I got in trade for a few hours of aluminum welding.
caddy500-2.jpg

I also moved the cab around, for fun, LOL.
2010-04-04150109.jpg

I got the parts from the water jetter a few weeks ago, but it got so hot that I had to do something to improve my working conditions. My house didn't have a garage. It only had a carport, so I decided to buy some lumber and build a garage.

Picked up some lumber:
2010-04-23084112.jpg

I bought some 20 footer 2x6's and brought them home like this: :D
2010-04-24131649.jpg

2010-04-23084128.jpg

Framed the carport:
2010-04-26081450.jpg

2010-04-26081432.jpg

Added some siding sheets:
2010-04-26182119.jpg

Finally brought all my tools in that were in the back yard, lol.
2010-05-02145431.jpg

No "hot rod" garage is complete without a reference to The World's Fastest Indian:
2010-05-02145454.jpg

I set up my work space and stereo. It is very important to listen to your favorite tunes when you're working on your rod. :D

I rebuilt my front king pins:
2010-04-19191303.jpg

Then I cut all the brackets from the rear axle (31 spline Ford 8.8") to get it ready for 4-link:
IMG_0008.jpg

You can kind of see how the frame will end up looking like:
IMG_0003.jpg

I cut up some tubing for the "lightening holes":
IMG_0001.jpg

I also had time to mock up the front frame rails tonight:
IMG_0005.jpg

That's all I have for now. I think I'll be able to make pretty good progress now that I have a decent work space. My goal is to finish it before the Good Guys Fall Nationals, which is a week before Thanksgiving. I hope I can make it!

Can't wait till we can see th frame mocked up. Looks good just the way it is! Never seen a garage in the "builds" section either! [cl

That frame is going to look sick, I have a feeling this will be a really cool truck.Your garage /shop turned out very nice also. Good luck with the build.

The nose chrome on that truck is incredible! Hard to believe it has stayed so straight after all these years. Mine is beaten up pretty good, I'm thinking of refabbing it using the old as a template, maybe stainless steel to match alot of other metal trim on the truck...

Randy

Thanks for the replies guys! I swear, this website has the nicest members of any website I've been to. You replies get me pumped up to get out there and finish this car as soon as I can! Thank you! :)

Tonight I worked some more on the front frame rails. They wouldn't go together without a fight. The accuracy with these waterjet machines isn't really something to brag about. At the best, they stay within +/- 0.010". So when all this lack of accuracy stacks up, the parts end up not fitting like they do in the CAD model, haha. Anyways, I got the front rails all tacked together. I still need to cut some large diameter tubing for the big holes and some flat stock to finish boxing them. Below are some pictures. I hope you enjoy!

I got a pyrex cup for my TIG torch. Holy crap, what a difference! I can't believe how I lived without it. Unlike a ceramic cup, the pyrex cup doesn't block my view of the puddle. I can see it from every angle!
IMG_0009.jpg

I put the tubes in, made sure they were perfectly square and tacked them in.
IMG_0010.jpg

I got the second plate on (not without a fight), and welded it in place.
IMG_0013.jpg

Here it is standing on it's own.
IMG_0015.jpg

I wanted to work a little longer tonight, but the stupid moths wouldn't let me. I need to figure something out to keep all these insects and flies out of my work space. Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking!

pyrex cup eh? I gotsta get me one of those! Makes all the sense in the world. If you don't like the water jet tollerances then you would really hate a CNC plasma cutter finish! I know, I got one. [ddev

Nice work on the rails. they will be killer!

Hey bro, if'n you aint plannin on utilizing that Dodge Grill I'd like to know if'n you'd wanna part with it?[P

Hey bud, the Dodge grill is long gone. Sorry. :(

pyrex cup eh? I gotsta get me one of those! Makes all the sense in the world. If you don't like the water jet tollerances then you would really hate a CNC plasma cutter finish! I know, I got one. [ddev

Nice work on the rails. they will be killer!

Thanks man! I got mine from Arc-Zone. Here's the link: http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_235_574&products_id=4670 . The cool thing is that they send a bag of M&Ms with every order. LOL

What brand CNC plasma do you have? I've been thinking of getting a 4x4 system, possibly a 4x8.

How about a large bug screen....

I tried that already. They still find a way in. :(

What brand CNC plasma do you have? I've been thinking of getting a 4x4 system, possibly a 4x8.
:(

I have a torchmate with a 4X8 table. I love it. You want custom brackets, frame plates like yours, metal art stuff (I make tables, sculptures and even a full size moose out of 1/4" plate). Once it is in the computer you can just call it up and whip out another set. A 4x4 setup will take care of most peoples stuff and save $ and space. If I did anything different I would build a water bed for it. Probably will retro it to one anyways. Cut down on the smoke. Doesn't leave as smooth a finish like your water jetted stuff though. A little slag on the back. Arc "walks" a little over 1/4" thick stuff but you can adjust with travel speed to compensate for it.

Latest posts

Back