26-27 toy-t build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillip-r-s

Ok I am finally going to start a build thread.
Here is the low down up till now, I bought two pretty rough model t bodies a tudor sedan and a coupe with an extra set of rear quarters along with I think six doors, all for $350 from a guy on the craigs.
I got an 85 Toyota with a 22re that didn't run for $400,which turned out that the computer had just come unhooked , pluged it back in and it fired right up thought the number three exhaust valve is stuck open.
Found a 63 ford front axle for $40, still need to find the exact bearings but the Toyota hubs were surprisingly close. In fact the inner bearing was dead on and the outer was only off by two millimeters. Also still need to design and have someone make a bracket for the brakes, but not to worried about that just yet.
Next is the front suspension and steering.

P.s. any suggestions, and yes even criticisms are appreciated, however please bear in mind that I am just a poor car lover. The key word being poor.

Last edited:
phone resolution problems

Having a little trouble using my phone to post pictures with my 8megapixle phone camera will try again when I get to work.

when i started colecting parts for m latest buil i was looking for a 22re and auto. as i intend on driving everyday i can and i drive 60 miles aday back and forth to work. wound up with a 3.8 v6 chevy with a 350 lockup. oh well . that 22r will pull it along just fine .

pics

here is the pics

hope this works

Attachments

• IMAG0168.jpg
    IMAG0168.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0153.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMAG0166.jpg
    IMAG0166.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 199
  • IMAG0164.jpg
    IMAG0164.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
it worked

OK i am scratching my head on the front trailing arms or hair pins.
is there any reason that i can not curve the trailing arms around my steering box?
I was planing to make them out of frame stock and bolt them to the front axle. Then bolt the cross spring to these arms. kind of like ridgidly mounted bones.

thaughts.

The new tie rods are here, the new tie rods are here.

Attachments

• IMAG0175.jpg
    IMAG0175.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 59
Looks good did you come up with the plate art? it's a cool idea that I am now going to steal if you don't mind.
Can't wait to see more of this build I am way to new to this to help you on build questions sorry:confused:

Nice project

You may want to bore a couple holes and plug weld those bungs .I use them too,but they could break off at end of tubing if just welded at end.I weld mine at end and bore a couple holes and plug weld them too.No failures when done that way.[cl
Nice project.

Looks good did you come up with the plate art? it's a cool idea that I am now going to steal if you don't mind.
Can't wait to see more of this build I am way to new to this to help you on build questions sorry:confused:

no.... my wife and i just saw them at a antique store.

You may want to bore a couple holes and plug weld those bungs .I use them too,but they could break off at end of tubing if just welded at end.I weld mine at end and bore a couple holes and plug weld them too.No failures when done that way.[cl
Nice project.

will do, and thank you for the tip. any thaughts about curving the trailing arms around my steering box.

disc brake / bolt pattern conversion

Does anyone know of disc brake conversion kits for a 63 ford front axle that are 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern everything I have found including speedy is 5.5.

1996-I think

Seems to me that I read somewhere a 1996 Ford crown Victoria disc brake hub would fit Econoline axle.Better to do some more checking,I may be mistaken.
I just bought a brake rebuild kit and am keeping the drum brakes for my woodie project.I figure if they were good enough for Ford in 1963 they would be just fine now.
Of course disc would be much better,but Parts cars are all gone around here.:(

update

thaught i should update for last weekends work before this weekend comes

it has been kinda slow going between working full time, going to school full time, and driving at least 14.5 hours a week i wind up with one good night a week, that and an hour here or there

never the less, playing in the shop is what seems to keep me sane

last week i started to straighten out the front of the frame
I cut the front bends off and slid 1/8 rectanglular inside squared and welded

this week is blend it into the old and make it look original

Attachments

• IMAG0191.jpg
    IMAG0191.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG0192.jpg
    IMAG0192.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0193.jpg
    IMAG0193.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0194.jpg
    IMAG0194.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 66
still got alot of welding and blending to do but ran out of co2 argon, so i mocked it up again and started cutting out the floor of the cab.

Attachments

• IMAG0196.jpg
    IMAG0196.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0209-1.jpg
    IMAG0209-1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG0203-1.jpg
    IMAG0203-1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 73
Love that last picture. If you want, I could get you the Timken race/bearing #s for the kit I used. It is 5 on 5, but you might be able to cross reference the dimensions to another rotor and bearing set that will suit your needs.

That's ok Sam I got a spec sheet on one of the 5.5 on 5 units
i am still trying to make up my mind as to what I'm going to do there
But its ok I have plenty of other places to weld
thank you though

took a sad picture of the tudor out in the snow the other day

Attachments

• IMAG0212.jpg
    IMAG0212.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 52
Started on the cab floor this weekend, measure measure measure this week and hopefully tack in next weekend.

And for the pic lovers here ya go…..

Attachments

• IMAG0223.jpg
    IMAG0223.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG0226.jpg
    IMAG0226.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0227.jpg
    IMAG0227.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMAG0229.jpg