HD trike

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch

RRR Supportor
I hear there`s a lack of build threads here so I thought I throw this one in. Not exactly ratty but it`s got wheels and I`m fiddling with metal so...

My customer delivered the bike with a body model made of 6mm round bar... which I completely ignored and started from scratch :p :D
Dropped the seat an inch or two and started from there shaping and building the mould.
Hope to start beating some sheet into submission in the next few weeks [P

Attachments

• IMGP9484.jpg
    IMGP9484.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMGP9956.jpg
    IMGP9956.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMGP9994.jpg
    IMGP9994.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 86
thanks for checking in guys. I`ll keep you posted. Won`t be a quick process as the customer needs to save up / starve his family to keep going :D

You metal shaping guys I swear have an in-born talent that cannot be taught. The rest of us twist and contort metal to fit our needs but you guys caress the metal and it shapes to meet your vision.
As Mr. C says, you have a cool shop in an idyllic setting and you do great work too.

Keep it coming, dutch.

BTW, I believe you have the coolest shop on the forum! [cl

I'll second that......I think we should start a thread where guys
can share their garages /shop..with everyone (if there's not one already)
I understand some not wanting to share for different reasons but I really
enjoy seeing where others get the work done. Big/ small... clean/dirty
doesn't matter.....what so you guy's think....and yeah it's not a contest
but if if it were.....I'd have to vote 1st place for Dutch's....love it...

Welp.....guess I should have done a search first....
found a thread called SHOW OFF YOUR GARAGE.....
it looks like a lot of picture have been removed by the
good people at .....well you know...anyway maybe some
of you would like to update or post up some pictures of
what you have now....

well thanks all for the thumbs up on the shop. It`s a nice place to work in. Cool in summer ,very cool in winter... (freeze nuts off that is...) The building is almost 200yrs old and it is protected monumental, so mostly original. Character for sure. I`ll ask my son to do a panoramic view of the shop if you guys like to see that.

As for the metalwork... I`m a farrier/ blacksmith by trade and I decided to try my luck in beating up sheetmetal instead after my body shut me down a few yrs ago. Just going by trial & error.Half the time I don`t have a clue what I`m doing :rolleyes: ... but I enjoy it :)

nope. I will try to meet the looks of the front fender as much as possible, but he the owner bought it and loves it so it will stay.... even with wrong radius...
Maybe you could give the front fender just a little kiss of your magic. [ddd

touch down... first time street level, almost. Buck is pretty much done. Not sure yet what shape the lower front of the fenders is gonna have... there will be some kind of runningboard but shape unknown yet. License plate on decklid, round taillights tubed in fenders , twin exhaust cutouts in lower rear panel...

time to go make some noise :D

Attachments

• IMGP0193.jpg
    IMGP0193.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 51
  • IMGP0189.jpg
    IMGP0189.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMGP0198.jpg
    IMGP0198.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 46
Weather was great so I`ve mostly been working outdoors the past few weeks but still got a start on the body.

Cut the rough shape from paper and started shaping the panels for the front. After welding both sides together I tipped the edge where the seat will sit :p The pan for the seat turns out to be a real pita... 2 attemps today , both into the "experience bin"... :rolleyes: so to at least have a feeling of getting something done , I started shaping the rear of the body.

Picked up this manual sheetmetal break this weekend... seemed like a good deal @ about 800 bucks :) 6' 6" , max 14 gauge [cl

Attachments

• IMGP0282.jpg
    IMGP0282.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 48
  • IMGP0285.jpg
    IMGP0285.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMGP0278.jpg
    IMGP0278.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMGP0343.jpg
    IMGP0343.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMGP0354.jpg
    IMGP0354.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMGP0487.jpg
    IMGP0487.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMGP0490.jpg
    IMGP0490.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP0492.jpg
    IMGP0492.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP0494.jpg
    IMGP0494.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMGP0496.jpg
    IMGP0496.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 46
Hey Dutch, super job on the metal work... and love the break
(@#%@* so jealous):D;) and my experience bin is so full I had
to start another.....keep beating and bangin' brother....

Latest posts

Back