gauge sets?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvail

I have just started looking into gauges - I know I'm a bit premature for our project in it's current state, but I like to be prepared and informed......

anyhow, I found these:
http://snsclassics.com/gauges.html

and wondered if anybody else has used them? It seems AWFUL cheap for a whole gauge set (I'd get the 6 gauge set) with a programmable speedo (will definitely need!) $259 sounds like a steal!

Karin
http://36diamondt.blogspot.com

Seems about right to me......

I have just started looking into gauges - I know I'm a bit premature for our project in it's current state, but I like to be prepared and informed......

anyhow, I found these:
http://snsclassics.com/gauges.html

and wondered if anybody else has used them? It seems AWFUL cheap for a whole gauge set (I'd get the 6 gauge set) with a programmable speedo (will definitely need!) $259 sounds like a steal!

Karin
http://36diamondt.blogspot.com

Unless your were going with Dakota or other set ups that can cost double that amount.....never used them so will have to defer to someone else...

I used a set of the previous model from this manufactuer - the speedo wouln't program, though they did send me a replacement. At least now they got rid of the fish logo on the face. Definitely you get what you pay for and there is a big difference in quality compared to Classic Industries gauges, their kits are more complete, better senders and much better instructions. Of course budget is always important, I know some guys who swear by VDO instruments, though I've never used them. I have used Autoloc gauges though, and found them to be also at the low end in price and unfortunately, on quality too....

I used a set of the previous model from this manufactuer - the speedo wouln't program, though they did send me a replacement. At least now they got rid of the fish logo on the face. Definitely you get what you pay for and there is a big difference in quality compared to Classic Industries gauges, their kits are more complete, better senders and much better instructions. Of course budget is always important, I know some guys who swear by VDO instruments, though I've never used them. I have used Autoloc gauges though, and found them to be also at the low end in price and unfortunately, on quality too....
once you got the replacement, did it function correctly?

once you got the replacement, did it function correctly?

Yes, it did, but it was irritating when something you buy brand new is junk - and of course I didn't find out 'till the vehicle was all assembled, wired and road tested. The thing about the length of time it takes to build a car is that the warranty on parts like this may run out before you get it tested - in my case, I was lucky, the warranty was about 1 week from expiring.

Yes, it did, but it was irritating when something you buy brand new is junk - and of course I didn't find out 'till the vehicle was all assembled, wired and road tested. The thing about the length of time it takes to build a car is that the warranty on parts like this may run out before you get it tested - in my case, I was lucky, the warranty was about 1 week from expiring.

ahh, good thing to think about! I will hold off to order it until it's ready to be driven!

I wonder if there are any good gauges made any more. My Son bought a set of Stewart Warner domed "Wings" vintage gauges and they were not cheap. When we opened them up two of the needles had fallen off already and we never could get the speedo to program right. They did replace them but it was pretty frustrating. They are now being made in Mexico. :(

I have used Teleflex marine gauges in my last two cars and they are decent and look like the old SW gauges, but you can't get a speedometer.

Don

How about some old gauges, rebuilt- I just bought a '55 olds gauge cluster -looks cool but needs a custom made dash to fit. Alot of cool old stuff out there.

How about some old gauges, rebuilt- I just bought a '55 olds gauge cluster -looks cool but needs a custom made dash to fit. Alot of cool old stuff out there.

I need a programmable speedo - and want them all to match. We have an engine/trans from one rig, cab from another, rear end from another - we plan to use the gearing in the rear end at first, then eventually get it regeared - so programmable speedo is a must.

In reference to what someone else stated earlier,bought a set of SW back in the middle nineties and they were made in Mexico back then. The odometer looked they used whit-out to make the numbers,really shoddy looking. Heard of other people not liking the Dolphin gauges either. I've heard that the Omega gauges are of good quality and he guarantees his for three years. I just bought the Speedway no name gauge set that they came out with,decent quality for 159.00. Although they are mechanical only.

I collected up some older SW gauges for mine, only need to find the matching tach now. Still have to buy the senders, but I figured the electric gauges would be easier to install. I trolled eBay for months until I got a complete set of what I wanted, buying one or two at a time. I ended up with two speedometers, a new 160 mph one, and a slightly used one that goes to 120 and has a built in high beam indicator light, but both are mechanical.

Don't rule out using a mechanical speedo, you can get an adapter box that fits in between the tranny and the speedo that has different gearsets to change the reading.

Or just have a cigarette lighter socket and use your GPS for a speedo,knowone will ever put the two together. If you drive as much as I do every day,you know when your going fast. I've never been pulled over for going to slow.

Makes sense...

Our video cameras in the Patrol units have GPS for location and for auto activation if driving over certain speeds...I've got ours set to 80mph...video turns on by itself and starts recording....also posts speeds on the video when reviewed and the GPS coordinates of and during the video....so makes sense that they would have GPS speedos out there.....

This is a pretty late response, but maybe someone is interested.

I used Dolphin gauges in my '53 Chev that is my avatar. The programmable speedo works great I had no issues with it at all. The other gauges are also ok.

I wired the tach backwards and figured out my mistake when there was a hint of burned electronics. I called their tech and told them what I did - they replaced it for free.

The one thing I don't like is the the lighting on the 4-in-one gauge set is dimmer than the speedo and pretty hard to read at night.

In the F2stang I used VDO gauges because I got the whole set for $50. They work great, but aren't the coolest looking on the market. They have the electronic speedo as well.

This is a pretty late response, but maybe someone is interested.

I used Dolphin gauges in my '53 Chev that is my avatar. The programmable speedo works great I had no issues with it at all. The other gauges are also ok.

I wired the tach backwards and figured out my mistake when there was a hint of burned electronics. I called their tech and told them what I did - they replaced it for free.

The one thing I don't like is the the lighting on the 4-in-one gauge set is dimmer than the speedo and pretty hard to read at night.

In the F2stang I used VDO gauges because I got the whole set for $50. They work great, but aren't the coolest looking on the market. They have the electronic speedo as well.

your response isn't too late - we haven't bought gauges yet, so I really appreciate your input!

Latest posts

Back