36 Dodge truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregster

I am starting a new build for my brother , it is a project that was started by someone else who did an excellent job but never finished the project . The truck was loosley assembled , just enough to push it onto the trailer for the trip home . My brother bought it the way it is in the photos , chopped with the magority of the body work finished . The main problem is with the chop and channel that it has he's very uncomfortable in the cab. The bed is a little short for his taste so we plan to lengthen the bed and extend the firewall just a bit to help on the lack of leg room . This will also involve stretching the frame , I think the end result will be worth the extra work .

HPIM0605.jpg

HPIM0606.jpg

HPIM0607.jpg

HPIM0608.jpg

The truck came with a ton of quality parts , some installed some not . here are some reference shots I took before taking it apart .

HPIM0586.jpg

HPIM0595.jpg

HPIM0597.jpg

HPIM0591.jpg

HPIM0593.jpg

looks like the fabrication was well done for sure... always a good thing therefore you wont have to rebuild everything...

Its a good looking truck.. but if it were mine i would have to lower the back of the cab.. i perfer them sitting flat... but hey who cares what i think!

look forward to watching this one.. since you didnt let us watch you build ur ride...

looks like the fabrication was well done for sure... always a good thing therefore you wont have to rebuild everything...

Its a good looking truck.. but if it were mine i would have to lower the back of the cab.. i perfer them sitting flat... but hey who cares what i think!

look forward to watching this one.. since you didnt let us watch you build ur ride...

That is for sure, the rear shocks are at the end of their adjustments ( soft side ) I will change the position of the upper shock mounts to lower the rear of the truck and put some adjustability into it . I like your way of thinking :)

That's a handsome looking truck, I really dig it! The chassis fab looks top-notch and it's really nice to see some rails with curves.[dr

If you're going to build a longer bed anyway, how about making it a bit taller? I think it might look better with the top closer to even with the character line on the cab.

Keep us posted, looking forward to this one.[P

Regards,
Shea:)

When we were at good-guys in nashville we ordered some new equiptment , a rotary shear , bead roller , slip roll and a 48" sheet metal brake , anyway they came in yesterday afternoon . I can't wait to start bending some metal ! It will be so nice to be able to make a really nice trans tunnel . The brake will be great for making the bed sides on the '36 . They claim it will bend a good edge on 16 guage steel . I hope it turns out to be good quality stuff , it's woodward fab equiptment that I have seen them use on Power Block , We'll see . [;)

Frame progress

We stripped the truck down clean less the suspension to lengthen the shortened frame . We have decided to lengthen the bed from 38" to 48" and we are also going to extend the cowl of the cab 6" . Adding the 6" and half of the 10" bed extension I will lengthen the frame 11" to keep the same proportions. The total wheel base will be 122" , should give a good look and a great ride . After all the measuring and cross measuring and measuring again and again I finaly made the move and cut the frame into , whew! That first cut into a perfectly good frame is always tough . I made my frame pieces out of 8 guage for the splice doing inner and outer layers with an overlap on the inside for good stength . After getting the frame put together with rosett welds I found it a whole lot easier to stand the frame on it's side to finish weld everything .

HPIM0645.jpg

HPIM0646.jpg

HPIM0649.jpg

HPIM0650.jpg

HPIM0651.jpg

I think everything turned out well on the frame .

HPIM0653.jpg

HPIM0654.jpg

All the welds seemed to get good penetration , I used the same thickness steel as the frame had to make it burn in equal and look the same on the outside . I will finish boxing in the frame after I get the final placement for the crossmembers . All is going well so far !

progress to report

Everything is on schedule , cut the firewall out to extend the cowl 6" . This was a combo operation , I used a jig saw to make the outside cut and the plasma cutter on the floor on the inside .

HPIM0655.jpg

HPIM0656.jpg

HPIM0657.jpg

HPIM0658.jpg

HPIM0660.jpg

this is with the cab moved back 6" to simulate the extension

We spot welded a brace in to hold the new firewall in place to get everything started in the right position

HPIM0664.jpg

HPIM0665.jpg

HPIM0666.jpg

almost all of us were involved in this deal , trying to get it done asap . We welded the sides in first then tackled the top

HPIM0667.jpg

HPIM0668.jpg

Here's the owner of the truck , my brother Todd (Rustbrother is his RRR handle ) We gave him the hardest part weld , nothing worse than being bent over in an awkward position sitting on concrete to weld

HPIM0669.jpg

HPIM0670.jpg

HPIM0671.jpg

Well the cowl metal work is finished , now it's time for a little bondo and a whole lot of sanding

HPIM0674.jpg

HPIM0675.jpg

HPIM0676.jpg

HPIM0673.jpg

HPIM0672.jpg

I think the cowl and firewall followed its original shape and flow well . Of course the body work will help on that too .

looks like the extension will actually work out better lines overall i think as far as flow to the grille goes... looks great.
look forward to progress updates.

Thanks , I think it flows well . The firewall is only slightly smaller than before , just a little lower at the top . The curves around the top corners were my biggest worry , luckily they fell into place okay .

looks like the stretch went really well...

I wasnt sure how it was going to look.. but i think it looks great!

Latest posts

Back