Dances with grills

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarat

So I have this catch 22. Besides car meets the only place I take this car is to my pub. Driving it gives me an excuse to go there...going there gives me an excuse to drive it.

So I go one time and get my spot right in front, and a guy sitting at the bar says "What is that, a Hudson"?

Anyway, I have been playing with the paint program and was trying to decide if I want to change the grill and make something custom, keeping the old school hot rod look. Lowes sells different lightweight aluminum tubes, angles, strips in different types/sizes. In fact the lower part of that grill was bondo'd to the splash plan when I removed it, so I made the lower piece. In other words not much left of the grill, its painted rust.

Then there is the hood latch which is partially supported by the grill but I have a plan for that

So here are three I am leaning to, (plus original) out of a dozen or more of all kinds of configurations...including no grill. I am leaning towards keeping the parking lights. Hopefully none of these look like a "Hudson". [S

Attachments

• grill2-a.jpg
    grill2-a.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 55
  • grill3-a.jpg
    grill3-a.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 47
  • grill4-a.jpg
    grill4-a.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 49
  • grill.JPG
    grill.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I like the stock signal lights of number three, and the five thin tubes of number one photo. Hopefully, you can put the tubes deeper in to the grille surround, and you will be aces.

i like the stock 53 grille in pic 4 out of what you have there.

Same.

A '54 Pontiac grill bar also looks good in the '53 Chevy surround.

And don't take the average "I wanna talk about your car" guy at face value. Chances are he only heard the name Hudson because his kid watched CARS once, and he wouldn't actually know one if it ran him over...

Wire mesh with drawer pulls.( Let the fight begin.[ddd)
It's a very 60's look. And PLEASE... put a front bumper on it.
Torchie

Attachments

• 9-10 Cruisin' For A Cure  and Long Beach Motorama 010 (Small).jpg
    9-10 Cruisin' For A Cure and Long Beach Motorama 010 (Small).jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 28
If people can't tell your Chevy from a Hudson, changing the grille won't make any difference!

I'm not feeling the tube grille, but I like to mess with photos. Whatever you do, I agree with the guys, it needs a bumper...

attachment.php

Attachments

• grille - 5T low.JPG
    grille - 5T low.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 52
Thanks gang, yes maybe any of those grills would look better with the bumper, but I have the memories of the stripped chopped 50's cars and the gasser look. But will see...car gets a lot of attention as is.

I am going to try and see if I can save this 53 grill, but if I make this thing look any better I might have to *gasp* paint it.

About the Hudson...I didnt care that some know nothing knew nothing...someone else thought it was a Studebaker, not my reason for the bumper removal. I am surprised about the thoughts of bumpers on a rat rod, and like I said it was based on rodders back in the day in my town when growing up.

About the bumper...This is the closest thing online that I was aiming for;

8428947170_79bd44232e_z.jpg

These cars are stodgy enough with the design....But!....then I saw something else and I thought I would give this a shot:

The inverted bumper: I pinned it in for now and I might even drill a couple of holes and move it back a couple inches. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 21
I think most people here are saying keep the bumper for the current appearance of your car. Honestly it's just not currently modified enough to pull off the no bumper look. Besides, if you're going for a gasser, why a grille more suited to a custom?

If an aggressive stripped competition look is the future plan, then ditch the grille altogether. Weight loss is free horsepower...

34b9483c7fb5c968271b2fcee33c70ff.jpg

gasser-1953-club-coupe-hot-rod-race-car-drag-car-rat-rod-pro-street-1.jpg

i've always thought the bumpers on early to mid 50's chevrolet car look to be upside down, and the same for the 60 - 66 chevrolet trucks

I think most people here are saying keep the bumper for the current appearance of your car. Honestly it's just not currently modified enough to pull off the no bumper look. Besides, if you're going for a gasser, why a grille more suited to a custom?

BED nailed it. Your car doesn't currently have the stance or "attitude" to look right without the front bumper, and that's why people think it should have one. I can see where your inspiration comes from, but the overall look of the car falls short of that to pull off the no bumper look. To me, yours more says "I'm a street cruiser with no bumper" than "I'm a gasser". It's your car so ultimately you can do whatever you like. For me I'd either lower or raise it, it's in that middle ground where it's lacking some identity IMO.

Well, a lot of people here have a good eye when it comes to our "metal sculptures", I appreciate the feedback.

I gave the car a decent stance, higher off the wheels, with the help of the missing 60 pounds of bumper in front, air shocks in back, and yet lower profile radials.

It probably looks better in person, as a mild street gasser.

But just to see I am going to remove the heavy bumper brackets, and just make an attachment for an inverted bumper, and may match paint to body.

Latest posts

Back