Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FloorFraming003_zpsa48f2f21.jpg

Because the space is limited inside this thing I thought it wise to have an adjustable steering column. It will have a 15" Model T steering wheel and clearance in the thigh area is at a premium. It should accomodate driver's of different heights better, being adjustable.

The column drop bolts to 4 dash mount holes along the cowl. Slots were made with a drill press, hole saw and a die grinder. HE dashboard will cover the mount.

p.s. There's some new stuff at the end of the previous page.

Last edited:
So is that for mock up so you can get your steering angle how you like it?

No, it will remain adjustable. Will require a wrench to do it so not something that will be done on the fly. Same with the telescope feature I'll try to build into it.

Finished framing the floor today. There's very little foot room. Thinking of having
a hand throttle in addition to the gas pedal. It will be the type handicapped drivers use.

That will be different.....

No, it will remain adjustable. Will require a wrench to do it so not something that will be done on the fly. Same with the telescope feature I'll try to build into it.

Finished framing the floor today. There's very little foot room. Thinking of having
a hand throttle in addition to the gas pedal. It will be the type handicapped drivers use.

Is that so you can cruise without your foot on an obtuse angle??? lol..or just to develope better hand / foot coordination...?? lol

BrakePedal001_zpsd5baed0c.jpg

I picked up a couple Howe race master cylinders at a swap meet for five bucks a year ago. Here's one with a straightened Model a pedal arm and a home made mounting box and push rod end.

Yes, Sarge, the hand throttle will provide relief for my right leg which can get acute pain because of the obtuse angle.

Thanks zpi28. I appreciate the positive remarks.

Speed Delivery showed up 3 days late (not so speedy) with some steering parts so that will be Monday's project.

SteeringWheel002_zpsae1c3fe3.jpg

Here's the Model T wheel provided by my friend Gary. The aluminum jacket on the column is the handle from a cheapo Harbor Freight-style floor jack. The jack crapped out after very few uses but I saved parts of it. As luck would have it, the handle slid over the double D shaft and sleeve perfectly.

It adjusts out an additional 2" but that leaves a gap between the jacket and the dashboard.

I dragged out some water-thin epoxy called Kwik Poly and will use it to firm up the wood on the steering wheel.

those wooden wheels have a great old school style to them.. cool mix with the super old school wheel right next to the new aluminum piece! Keep it up bob!

I have one of the center pieces of a T wheel. I want to roll an aluminum rim with dimples for it kinda like the speedway wheels. Looks good Bob! Nice use of "jack S**t" you have laying around! lol [cl

DashinSteel008_zps56315e21.jpg

Thanks everyone for following along on this build. Trying to build this one with no aftermarket parts. All old stuff.
Today I made a simple dashboard. First made a few samples out of poster board. Decided on the one in the pic. Then I made a hammer form to make the bottom bend. Clamped the sheet metal between the plywood forms and gently hammered the flange. Finished it off with a hammer and dolly.

DashinSteel002_zpsa5a103ce.jpg

Here it is setting in place. Made it out of 18 ga. I have no idea what gauges I'll install. Something out of some pre-war car or truck.

DashinSteel009_zpsdcf24a9d.jpg

Here you can see the flange. By using a hammer form there is less distortion in the final piece.

Don't worry about that big gaping hole in the firewall. The whole flat section will be replaced.

I have to look around on here more. Just found this. Great build. I like the under axle frame and I wish I would have thought of that adjustable height steering column.

ReoTunnel020_zps8fbce9c3.jpg

The original firewall was hacked beyond saving. This one is 16 gauge. Pretty stiff. The blue marker show where a battery box will be mounted. The shiny spot in the middle is a bit of a recess to clear the back of the engine.

Latest posts

Back