Power ideas for 29 Desoto???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

Gathering parts and ideas for my next build, a 1929 4 door Desoto. Wante something I can fit the family in. I've already picked up an early Mopar steerig box and have a buddy that's going to machine me some cool parts to do the cowl steering set up. I also want to run the hood with no sides sometimes with either some zoomies or lake style headers.

I am also thinking of doing the airbag setup on the front with the I-beam axle where the bags are hidden up under the front crossmember.... Maybe, I'm still undecided if I want to try this.

Other than that the only thig in really undecided about is power. I only ever used Chevy motors but am thinking of staying with the mopar theme on this one. The guy I bought the car from also has a freshly rebuilt (0 miles) Dodge 270 Hemi but I don't know if I am ready to spend that kind of money. I've seen a lot of 318's, 383's and 440's but not being a Mopar guy I'm not sure how the cost and availability of parts is.

What do you guys think?

I want to do a 4 door version similar to this... ( hopefully the pic shows up).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 47
A genuine Desoto Hemi would be the ulitmate engine, but "rare" and "expensive" are the big issues there...:(
DMW is on the right track - 318 or 360 would be the most logical choice, an SB Chevy - while a great engine - just seems wrong...
383, 400, 440 are physically much larger and naturally more expensive to build too, but they do put out decent power.

318 with a 340 cam and 360 heads. Had that set up in a 74 dodge van, real powerful.

The dodge 270 hemi is freshly rebuilt and he wants $2000 for it which is a good deal, but it lacks an intake/carb/headers which could end up running another grand at least... Then if I want a gm tranny (an original dodge tranny is getting harder to find) the adapter kit for that could be another $500-$800.

I'm liking the idea of the 318 or 383. I'm using the original frame so size of a big block may be an issue. If I run the 318 or 383 what transmission should I run?... Are mopar transmissions adaptable to the Ford 9" rear?

How about the slant 6 or any mopar flatheads? I know the flatheads would be $$$$.

I meant the 360... Not the 383. I think I want to stay away from the big blocks. Here are a couple other local ads I might check out. I'm pretty sure the 56 Desoto had the 330 hemi.... Maybe the dodge royale, 241 hemi is smaller in size and may fit better. I would LOVE to put one of these early hemi motors in it but business may need to pick up a bit more for that, hahaha... We'll see.

The hunt is half the fun!

i would go the small block (la) and either a 904 (most common) or a 727 (truck/van/big car) auto trans. the slant 6 will take a lot of room. you may be able to fit the la a lot easier. go to your local yards and see what they have, might be a duster/dart/demon or a truck/van setting there with the complete setup. that way you will have all the linkages which the mopar trans has to have. my choice on a inline 6 would be a amc 232/258 or 4.0, but the inlines may be to long to fit the stock frame. if the car came with a 4 or 6 and they went like a dodge it may have had a continental red seal, but i'm not sure.

ps i went and looked and it appears they used the red seal 6 in their cars.

Last edited:
My Desoto I have came with the Silverdome Flat 6. It's all there with matching numbers but I haven't looked deep to see if its salvageable. It would be cool to use the original motor but don't know if I would ever get anywhere with its whopping 70hp... 76 with the "red head" aluminum head.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 29
they used the red seal in airplanes with around 65 horsepower. we had a navy towmotor forklift that had the airplane motor, 18 or 19 years ago the rebuild kit was over 1200.00 dollars. i just saw it was the flat 6 and figured it was a red seal. nothing says cool like the old flatties.

Get a 318 they are a dime a dozen. Parts are fairly inexpensive and available and they can make decent power. Plus they are dependable workhorses.

Yup, that. and they are generally pretty decent on gas mileage.
Zoomies seem cool but I'd compromise that if the family is going. They will soon tire of the loudness and fumes.

How about a rear to back that up? I'm wanting, if I can find one, to put a 442 Olds w-30 rear with the w-27 cover... Just to be cool and different. Would his be a paint for parts and adaptability or should I stick with a mopar 8 1/2" or 8 3/4" rear?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 17
A RWD dodge pickup with 360 magnum engine and 518 overdrive trans. are in all the salvage yards. You can use the EFI or go carbureted.

If you get up over 400 HP with a cam, head work, intake, carb, and distributer.
Just a decent little small block that shouldn't break the bank.
Maybe.

Old Iron... The actual w27 is astronomical ($8,000- $10,000)... I've seen some 70-72 442 w30/31 complete rears for $300-$500. I think the 71 was different for some reason. I did find a w27 cover for the mopar rear... I may go that route and keep it Mopar.

Latest posts

Back