Hercules

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep up the good work, ZZ.
When I was younger and 'hillbillyer' I put an FE motor with a manual clutch in a seventies something truck. When I put the headers on the throwout bearing linkage caught on the collector flange, just like yours did, so I strapped a kitchen knife on the collector end over the flange to guide the linkage past the flange without making much noise.
I think the headers were Blackjacks, and not high quality.

A full day of fab and the trans tunnel is done, covering up the big 'ol truck tranny, trying to keep it as close to the housing as possible so I can have room to put the gas pedal in there and get my clodhopper on it :cool:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3827.JPG
    IMG_3827.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3828.JPG
    IMG_3828.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3829.JPG
    IMG_3829.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 78
When I was younger and 'hillbillyer' I put an FE motor with a manual clutch in a seventies something truck. When I put the headers on the throwout bearing linkage caught on the collector flange, just like yours did, so I strapped a kitchen knife on the collector end over the flange to guide the linkage past the flange without making much noise.
I think the headers were Blackjacks, and not high quality.

Ha, ha, good bush fix [cl
These headers are Flowtech (Holley), obviously nothing was learned in the years between...
I put a set of headers on the 460 in my 79 F250 years ago, though it had a C6, same thing, both collectors were touching the bellhousing, one pipe even touched the starter, had to put some heat wrap between so it didn't cook...
I think its a conspiracy against Fords.... :rolleyes:

I done a LS swap on a big '93 Blazer and put a set of mid length headers on it, had to cut the ears off the transmission for them to work. Must not be just a Ford conspiracy :rolleyes:

More recycled parts mounted, F100 gas pedal, old school with a rod to the carb instead of one of them newfangled cables.. Grafted the 34 Caddy stick to the Ford stub, managed to put a curve in the top end without damaging the 88 year old chrome :) . E brake handle of unknown origin mounted, looks right at home :cool:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Got the rear cab skin tacked on, the back is not totally flat, gave it a slight curve to fight the 'oil can effect', it will get caulked to the inner structure to further tighten it up. Working on the quarter window shape and placement...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3836.JPG
    IMG_3836.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3837.JPG
    IMG_3837.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3838.JPG
    IMG_3838.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3841.JPG
    IMG_3841.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 65
Got one of the quarter windows framed in. For the frame, I made buck from the cutout piece, wrapped it with a 1" sheet metal strip and formed a piece of 1/8 x 3/4 angle iron around it with the torch.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3842.JPG
    IMG_3842.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3843.JPG
    IMG_3843.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 59
Made the rear window frame from 1"x1/8" angle iron, cut outer edge to 11/16" wide. Mounted with weld-on stainless tool box hinges (so they won't rust inside) so it can just slide off. Model A arms and thumbscrews hold it open or closed. The glass will be glued to the frame and I'll make an outer trim from 1x1/4" brass which will glue to the glass.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3844.JPG
    IMG_3844.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3845.JPG
    IMG_3845.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 78
Head clearance should be fine, they'll just jab me in the neck :eek::mad:
Hmmm, helmet maybe?? It occurred to me that this may be an issue and now that its in, it kinda obvious. I'm thinking on some different way to mount the arms that won't result in brain damage.....[S:confused:

How about one arm at the middle bottom. Curve the arm a wee bit. This will only affect the grandchildren that have to ride in the middle of the truck every so often.

Fresh from the R&D Department, design #2 for the rear window arm should result in less bodily injuries....

attachment.php
attachment.php

Made the front window frame and mounted it today, no re-do needed on that one, thankfully :)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Getting tired of welding and grinding, decided to make some sawdust for a while instead, starting on the roof wood...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3865.JPG
    IMG_3865.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3867.JPG
    IMG_3867.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3866.JPG
    IMG_3866.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3868.JPG