DR plasma cutter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallfoot

He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!
Alright guys. I took a shot at one of the cheap versions of plasma cutters to see what it could do. I'll have a preview in a day or two on what I find while working with it. Right now, I'm fabricating a cart to store it on and use it.
It's one that I haven't seen advertised as much as the others but comparing costs and extras along with features it was not too much to try it out.
It's called a DR. Below are the listed features. The cost was $289 at Amazon.

• 50 Amps dual voltage 115/230V Digital Inverter Plasma Cutter, Using this portable plasma cutter is cheaper than Oxyacetylene after just a few cuts. • Less cleaning, maintenance, noxious gases, and less fire hazard, you have simply less overall work and a better, cleaner cut. • The high Frequency DC Plasma cuts thicker materials than standard DC plasma cutters. Cuts faster with less distortion in the work piece. • Optimized design based on state-of-the-art MOSFET transistors provides high power output for thick metal, as well as steady output for thin metal. • The automatic 115/230-Volt dual voltage compatibility plus the user-friendly carrying handle enable easy cuts. Technical Specifications: • Input Voltages 115-230V, Single Phase, 60Hz • Input Power at Rated Output 2.8kw @ 100% Duty Cycle, 4.5kw @ 60% Duty Cycle • Cutting Current Range 20-50 Amps, Output Voltage DC 100V/50 Amps • External Inlet Compressed Air Pressure 3.5bar – 4.0bar • Dimensions with Handle 20.8 x 8.3 x 15.3 inch, Weight 33 lbs • Cutting Thickness: Mild Steel Max. 5/8”, Stainless Steel Max. 1/2”, Aluminum Max. 1/2” INCLUDED: • CUT-50 machine • 13 feet plasma cutting torch • 10 feet work cable and clamp • 115 & 230 voltage transfer plug • Air filter and pressure gage • 6 feet air hose and 16 x accessories • Welding mask • Brush & hammer • Owner’s Manual

Now this is something to take a closer look at. A guy shouldn't expect too much from a $300 machine but we can hope.
Get that sucker set-up and report back, pronto!!![cl

Ok I got to check it out today a little. I practiced on sheet metal and junk steel I had laying around. I can see on thin stuff, I'm gonna need a straight edge...this thing cuts quicker than I can see. I went all the way up to some 1/2" plate and was impressed although it will take me working with it some to get used to it. The proof in the pudding will be whether the machine lasts. Consumables are easily available. Neat that the machine came with finished power cords as most I read on say they didn't . This one also came with the adapter cord to go to 220V. It's automatic on that. Whichever cord you use it works on either power. Also supplied was a filter set up for the air supply. All in all, so far so good. I'll report any problems if they occur.

y

Cool now you need one more thing to complete your purchase.
I know you said it has the filter but, it's not enough for a plasma.
Moisture is the number one enemy of a plasma cutters consumables.
You'll need at least this Motor Guard paper filled filter. You'll save the money spent in the consumables lasting longer.
$60
https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-M-60-Submicronic-Compressed/dp/B000WZYKAE

71Tn1OMXneL._AC_UL115_.jpg
71i3pVRziCL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Change the paper filter out every week. The filter will come with one and If you have one more, you can let the other dry out for the following week and they will last a long time.

Wow this is cheaper than the one i bought. Glad to see its workin out for ya. I love mine and use it almost every day. A straight edge is a very big help on all thicknesses. Makes the cuts super clean.

Cool now you need one more thing to complete your purchase.
I know you said it has the filter but, it's not enough for a plasma.
Moisture is the number one enemy of a plasma cutters consumables.
You'll need at least this Motor Guard paper filled filter. You'll save the money spent in the consumables lasting longer.
$60
https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-M-60-Submicronic-Compressed/dp/B000WZYKAE

71Tn1OMXneL._AC_UL115_.jpg
71i3pVRziCL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Change the paper filter out every week. The filter will come with one and If you have one more, you can let the other dry out for the following week and they will last a long time.

Thanks for the heads up...they're on the way!

I think most of them cutters are actually the exact same with little different housing or color or brand labels. Mine is blue and works like a charm. One thing to do is replace the nozzle as soon as you start seeing sparks fly upwards from the metal. Once the hole in them starts shaping a bit oval , it`s toast.
Great machines for the money imo

I think you're probably right Dutch! They all have CUT-50 or CUT-40 or CUT-80 markings. Most of them have the same features and many look like the same consumables fit. Some differ in the extras you get for you're money. I was impressed and remember reading in the reviews that these could be drop shipped by plane. The machine came packed very well in a heavy duty corrugated box with plywood top and bottom and they could have kicked it off the plane in a parachute...
I know it's usually best not to cheap out on tools, but since mine is not a full time garage and I don't depend on it for income, I couldn't see spending big money for a machine that will be used only occasionally. I know me...at least until I get to know this machine, I'll probably still grab the angle grinder with a cutting disk for clean cuts on most of the stuff I do. I do have some tasks coming up where heavier material needs to be cut and I'll get some practice on the plasma.

Does your DR have a cut chart showing the amps, air pressure, volts and travel speed for thickness of metal?
If it does, follow them and you'll get smooth dross free cuts.
You're gonna love a plasma when ya get used to it.
So much that you might as well get one of the baby shoulder strap carrying things and take it with you when you leave the house [ddd
Put a car seat in your hotrod to protect it :D
Move over dog there's a new dog in town. Sorry got carried away :eek: :p

It cuts 1/2 inch steel! Wow, I'd be happy if it'd do 1/4. I got to check into this. I found one at Scott Gross for $450, cuts up to a 1/4, and I thought that was a good deal. I'd save that much in no time not having to buy cutting wheels. What about tips that was mentioned, are they easy to get? Any other items on it that you have to replace? I've seen them used but never owned or used one, so just wondering if parts exchange between machines.

Anyone got a link on this? Done a search and found everyone but the DR. Didn't try ebay, I'll try that.

Here's a link on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=DR+plasma+cutter

The consumables are readily available on Amazon too. It appears as Dutch mentioned that these machines are a standard CUT-50 machine and I think the consumables on most of those are the same.
I haven't had any time to play with it yet, but it seems to have the zip to get thru most anything I'm likely to cut. I'm good with that as long as it works when I go to use it in a project. Like I said before, if it's reliable over time, the chance I took on a lesser machine might well be worth it.

old Iron, it has a chart but not very detailed. I have seen one of those while studying the info on these things...I'll have to find it and copy it down somewhere until I get used to what it can do. I can see it'll take a little practice to know what kind of air pressure and amps it takes to do different tasks.

I'm going to have 1, and I'm also going to set my bead roller up with a motor so I can use it,. I got to many projects going, my K1o I need to finish soobn, it's my daily.

The only thing I will suggest is to be diligent about changing the filter cartridge every week. If you don't it'll corrode the powder coating off the inside of the canister, I didn't and paid the consequences :eek:
Moisture will cut a groove in the side of a cutting tip instantly and the kerf will be all kinds of funky.
Oh ya, you can buy a case of filters on dabay cheaper than anywhere if, you don't want to reuse the cartridges.

Are you talking about the add on filter that was installed, or does the machine have one too?

I'm just talking about the add on MotorGaurd M60
It's a paper cartridge filter and will cause corrosion on the inside of the housing, if left for an extended period of time damp, that's why you change the paper cartridge weekly.
Plasma machines have an external or internal water separator/regulator combo. If you don't have the MotorGaurd or similar filter, then you need to pay attention to it ever so often.

Latest posts

Back