New Beetle Rod from AFTERMATH

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one bad ass bug!

Thanks man I appreciate it.

Started working of the fire wall today and all of the last little bits of fab before we can put the real engine in and start final assembly. Speedway motors finally shipped the 7* reamer I needed to modify the spindles to accept the Mustang II rack. The frame tubes wound up lining up almost perfectly with the rack mounts. I couldn't have planned it that well if I had tried.

Front end is just about finished.

Not the greatest angle on the tie rods but at ride height it will be much better.

This is one nasty kool Bug ![cl[cl
Obviously you've built front suspensions before 'cause this one is turning out great, I'm assuming you have jigs made for the A-arms etc. What spindles and ball joints are you using?

This is one nasty kool Bug ![cl[cl
Obviously you've built front suspensions before 'cause this one is turning out great, I'm assuming you have jigs made for the A-arms etc. What spindles and ball joints are you using?

I'm using S-10 spindles and ball joints with a mustang II rack. The a-arms are totally custom. Some people will baulk at the s-10 spindle set up but they are strong, infinitely upgradeable and came on fleet vehicles which means parts will be available and cheap forever. Believe it or not my trick for building these front suspensions is to do the drivers side totally free hand with no jig. Make it work and function as desired and then steal all of the dimensions for the passenger side. Keep it simple. This is the 4th one I've done this way and I haven't had any problems so far.

Cool looking car and the fab looks nice,however that front end looks like it's going to have some wicked bump steer

Your right. There will be some bump steer for sure but I anticipate that it really wont come into play until somewhere around the end of a 4.5" suspension stroke. I think we'll be way over driving the car when it becomes a factor. I'll find out and let you know :D

With the tie rods being angled back so much, what's that going to do to the akerman ?

ackerman.jpg

So you just had to go and post this build:D
There is a convertible bug set up for a 350 SBC for sale on CL near me.
I have been eyeballing it and they have dropped the price already.
Well maybe if Santa is good to me.:)
Excellent workmanship. And a great build.
Torchie.

So you just had to go and post this build:D
There is a convertible bug set up for a 350 SBC for sale on CL near me.
I have been eyeballing it and they have dropped the price already.
Well maybe if Santa is good to me.:)
Excellent workmanship. And a great build.
Torchie.

Go get it. You can't beat the power to weight ratio.

Finished up the steering shaft today and started final assembly with the actual engine.

And then Christmas kills all forward progress....

I've received a few messages requesting updates. The car is still being built but its at the stage where pictures online don't really do any good. It'll be done within a week or two and I'll post finished pics for those that are interested. Thanks.

The car is just about finished with the exception of a windshield and a few little tweaks. I hate to complain about horrible weather when most of you guys are totally buried in snow but it has been raining constantly here and we haven't been able to drive it yet.

A few updates...
almost020_zps269af3bc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

almost019_zps7866f2e1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's tight but it works
almost018_zps6b951465.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

almost017_zps401e2494.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

almost016_zpsae20c234.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just a few more...

almost015_zps3dc122f5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's pretty busy back here but it's all functional.

Ok, so the license plate holder is a little violent and way over built I had the spike and was dieing to use it.

almost011_zpsd664d688.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yes, there is a sub in there. I thought that putting a sub into what is basically a beer can was not going to work out too well. Surprisingly, there isn't a single rattle and it sounds great.
almost010_zpse5a5a7db.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bracket

l love the alternator bracket, hahhahhaaaa, it's a cool idea to fight a space problem[cl

are you gonna wrap the wire that are exposed?

Later :cool:

l love the alternator bracket, hahhahhaaaa, it's a cool idea to fight a space problem[cl

are you gonna wrap the wire that are exposed?

Later :cool:

I'm trying to find some really tight spiral wrap to cover up the red wires, yes. I don't like them either. Hind sight being 20/20, I should have used all black wiring. My options around here are limited and the car ships in a few days. I don't want to order some just to have it arrive as the car is being loaded. This job may wind up in the owners hands.

Looks awesome. I would love to see some videos of it tearing up the street. I apologize if this has been covered, but what part of Florida are you in?

Hey JakeJake

Wow wow wow...crazy VW rat rod...is that color what they call "OD" green??....kinda like the military Jeeps and such???
Those interior shots remind me of my oval track racing days...gosh I miss racing everytime spring rolls around...
You are going to have a crazy fun time running this thing around town...you put a lot of thought into making this thing happen....thanks for bringing us along on your journey..

MikeC

Question about the alternator bracket, isn't having it mounted to what appears to be the frame going to cause issues when the motor torques over and the motor mounts flex? Unless I'm missing something or looking at it wrong?

Latest posts

Back