Clutch Slave Cylinder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
I'm about to mount the slave cylinder for the clutch in my roadster pickup. It is a push-type cylinder. when the clutch is at rest should the pushrod push the piston in the slave cylinder all the way back? Or should it stop short of fully pushing all the fluid out of the slave cylinder?

Only one I ever had was on a Toyota pickup, IIRC it had an adjustable rod, you set it so it had a small amount of free play, just enough the rod would spin in the fork arm socket. When I put a Buick V6 and Saginaw 4 speed in the same Toyota pickup, I used the Toyota slave and made a new rod. Adjusted it the same way, worked great.

You don't want the throw out bearing to be rubbing the pressure plate all the time, so make sure it has a enough travel to prevent that.

I'm about to mount the slave cylinder for the clutch in my roadster pickup. It is a push-type cylinder. when the clutch is at rest should the pushrod push the piston in the slave cylinder all the way back? Or should it stop short of fully pushing all the fluid out of the slave cylinder?

I've had a hydraulic slave cylinder on my 27 for about 30 years, and it works great. I put a very heavy spring on the outside of the throwout arm to pull the rod back into the cylinder. It retracts all the way. The spring keeps tension on the rod so you can adjust it with some play, just like a mechanical setup.

Hope this helps, Bob.

Latest posts

Back