1950 dodge truck tribute to my son

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maiden voyage

well-------

the maiden voyage did not go so good:(

popped a freeze-plug, plug wires arcing all over and the front brake are locking up. drove it 3 miles to the local fuel stop, ran great on the way there,,,,,,,then,,,,,it all went downhill.

l think my son visted me and played games with the truck [S

still, l got to drive it on his birthday and that was the goal:D, however, not gonna make the cruz on saturday.

not really bummed because when ya build a rod from the ground up, things are bound to show up. l am just glad there minor things to fix.

there's another show l want to go to on the 30th, so l will shoot for that one.

BUT, she looks cool sitting in the parking lot at the gas station:D

post pics soon, 1:45 am Saturday and l started this adventure, just to go get gas, at 9:30 pm friday night[dr

Skull just came across your thread this morning and read through the whole thing, all I can say is WOW!!!!!
What a cool ride and the dedication is outstanding Bro.
On page 8 when I seen the use of the wheelbarrow the tern Holy Cowl came to mind, I'll not be forgetting that application and will use it.
Congrats and I know you'll enjoy every minute in the Dodge.[cl[dr;)

Attachments

• bandaged smiley.gif
    bandaged smiley.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 144
  • bloodshoteyes.gif
    bloodshoteyes.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 144
pics update

here is the pics from last night, a few at the station, a few rescue ones and when l got her home.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• DS4.jpg
    DS4.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 92
  • DS5.jpg
    DS5.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DS7.jpg
    DS7.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DS39.jpg
    DS39.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DS41.jpg
    DS41.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DS264.jpg
    DS264.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 76
Maiden voyages generally end this way sometimes you get real lucky.
The rescues are a lot O fun too.
Hey what happened to the slotted mags?

I gave this old 69 Dodge to my 13 yr old, youngest grandson for his first vehicle and yep it's gonna be a Rat.
We already put slotted on his.

Attachments

• IMG00051.jpg
    IMG00051.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG00052.jpg
    IMG00052.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG00055.jpg
    IMG00055.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG00025.jpg
    IMG00025.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 44
new rats

I gave this old 69 Dodge to my 13 yr old, youngest grandson for his first vehicle and yep it's gonna be a Rat.
We already put slotted on his.

cool, l had a 1966 with the wide block 318, drove it all over, two quarts of oil a week, sloppy king-pins, had to put front tires on every 3 months. loved that old truck, man l miss it.

my slots l couldn't get the tires to seat and seal, maybe put the on when l can solve this problem. l had the 5-spokes for the plymouth, so for now they work to get the truck on the road.

later:cool:

Congrats.

Hey, you drove it, Man....YOU DROVE IT!!!! Now, there's a few adjustments to make. No big deal...right?

I don't remember what master cyl and booster you have but, if you do, check the small rod that is between your m/c and booster. Most are adjustable and it could be adjusted too long and keeping slight pressure on the m/c causing the brakes to lock up. It happened to me once.

Happy for you. Good luck.

Lynn

At the local tire shop they have what's called rim seal. I had to do this on some wheels worked great and no more leaks.

At the local tire shop they have what's called rim seal. I had to do this on some wheels worked great and no more leaks.

i use that stuff a lot it works most the time as long as you clean the rim up really good with a wire wheel first but sometimes it just wont work i ended up putting tubes in my bronco because i just couldnt stop the bead leak

keep up the good work youll get the small stuff figured [P[;)

driver side

the driver side caliper is froze up solid, can't even move the round part that pushs the pad back in the hole using a 4'' C-clamp. rotors are good, as is the pads.easy fix[cl

N0W the freeze plug, well, that's right under the passenger side motor mount, between the cross ember and the engine. when we moved the engine back t put that freeeze plug dead center in the cross member. gonna have to lift the motor up to change it:eek:

That’s awesome you got to drive it on his birthday no matter how short the trip.

Hope the repairs go well and you can get it back out soon.

Admit it, if it had gone smoothly there wouldn't have been near as much to talk about but this way you'll always remember the maiden voyage [ddev:D
So glad you got to drive it on Jimmy's birthday, I know it had to be an emotional evening. Thanks for sharing it with us and the pics were great!
I hope you get the brakes and freeze plug fixed in time for that show on the 30th. [cl[cl

brakes

l got a caliper for the driver side, bled the brakes and were OK on that part of the fix.

l had a really bad miss, found my new spark plug wires were not put togother right so they were arcing on the headers. put a accel set l had laying around, miss fixed.

now the fun one, the freeze plug under the passenger side motor mount.

o yeah, looking forward to that:rolleyes:

leaks

l have a mass exhaust leak on the driver side and a small one on the passenger side. gonna do a bead around the inside of the flange that bolts to the block. then put a flat-edge on and gind flat to help the seal. l got a pair of the dead soft 3/8'' thick ''crush'' aluminum gaskets to fix the leak.

l figure since l gotta lift up the motor to get the freeze plug fixed, l may as well do it all at once.

.......no show again this week, but maybe next week[S

stiil, l got to drive it:D

Latest posts

Back