First time Building

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drweld

Hello from South Hadley Mass! My name is Mike and this is the first time I've built a car on my own. I originally was going to build a "T" bucket but I couldn't find a metal body that wasn't overpriced! I was searching the internet when I stumbled onto this site and found the Rat Rods. That was it I was hooked and began to look for bodies for the Chassis that I had already built from scratch for the T-bucket. I've helped countless people build their cars because I'm a welder and metal fabricator but I never found the time for my own car, now I decided that this is the time. I just purchased a 34 Ford pick cab for cheap money and I started to repair the body so that I can channel it to the frame, from there it's anybody's guess what I will do. I just keep looking at all the rat rods out there and try to get ideas what's next. I'm open for any suggestions on just about anything! As soon as I get some pictures I'll post them to the site. I'm hoping to hear from anyone interested in giving advice or suggestions, just happy to be building!!!!!!

Welcome to Undead Sleds
You won't find a lack of some one to help you.
We all like to share our ideas and processes.
What is unique to this site is, there is no one here going to bash or mouth what it is you're doing. We do want to see ya build something safe though.
Let her rip with all the pics you can muster.

Welcome to Undead Sleds! Pics! Pics! Pics!

#1 Tip - for that cab, before you cut into it at all, do a mock up of where the floor will be after the channel. And if you plan to chop it, mock up the ceiling height too. Then sit in it and see if you'll have enough leg room. Don't convince yourself "it's not too bad" because it will suck after driving 10 miles. Now is the time to decide if you'll need to extend the cab too.

Welcome to UnDead Sleds, from northern Alberta.
Don't forget to look at old trucks when you're hunting for project bodies.
You sound like me, I've been building things all of my life.

Welcome from here as well. Looking forward to seeing your pictures, and like it was said earlier, start a build thread and you'll be surprised by the help and reactions.

I have just reread your introduction and even read the line, this time, about getting a '34 pick-up cab, so you don't need my advice of 'don't forget to look at truck cabs for your projects'.
Sorry about that.
I am looking forward to seeing those pictures in the 'build' section. [dr

Welcome from Oregon. RRR/UDS is the best site going.

Sam is right. I am in the process of figuring out what to do with my 39 Ford PU to gain more space. At first I thought I would have to stretch the cab. Then I convinced myself I could live with it if I did a few things to gain space inside. Now, I am finding out the hard way that it wasn't enough. :D

Now if you are young and flexible, maybe you can fit in places that I no longer can comfortably.

Good luck with your project. Looking forward to seeing your build thread.

Latest posts

Back