Fiberglass bodies and wood...?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the mistake one time of grinding some fiberglass wearing only shorts and tennis shoes. I was sweating like a pig and that night I slept with no covers on and my arms stretched out because I couldn't touch any part of my body. Most miserable night I can ever remember. :eek:

Don

Do I have a question or two #1 I have always used mat and cloth am I just wasting money?#2 have always used a paint stick to work out any air bubble and noticed it takes extra rasin off is this going to cause my glass to be weak? I'm no glass expert butalways looking to be better I have some ideas on kustom bodys I would like tobuild in the future this tread is going to be helpful thanks

i used the angel hair type mat and a small steel roller, keep some lacquer thinner in a small bowl/bucket to clean the roller every once in awhile. something else i used was cooking wax paper to put my mat on to apply the resin before i put it in place then after it cured i peeled it off, but i think i should have peeled it just before it cured all the way, because i had afew spots the paper came apart.

I rarely use any cloth at all, just mat. If I were building a boat I would alternate layers of mat and cloth, but for what we are doing just mat alone is fine. Mat also comforms to the curves and bends easier than mat and tends to bite in better.

As for pulling the excess resin off, there is a fine line between having the mat "resin rich" and "resin starved". If it is too much either way it can affect the strength and ability to properly saturate the mat. But fiberglassing is such a forgiving medium that as long as you wet out the fiberglass so it is translucent you will be fine.

I don't use a roller much, but I just buy a lot of throwaway paint brushes and dab resin onto the mat, pushing it down and soaking it. If you want to soak up some of the excess resin you can lay down the last layer of mat dry and watch how much it absorbs, then add just a little to make it wet.

One thing I can not stress enough is to use fresh hardener. Polyester resin ages fairly fast and sometimes even the stuff on store shelves is stale. I buy mine at a marine store that turns it over fast.

Don

Don I do believe you rank up there with the greats like my idol big daddy ed roth might have to call you big daddy donsrods king of the glass[cl

Option 1: Follow these directions closely.
Option 2: Find a buyer for the 34 Chevy body.

Thanks Don. [cl

Latest posts

Back