Finally back building!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70Newport

After being a golf pro all summer and my son being born October 15th I am finally back at building my 47 ford. I have suspension well on its way and motor mounts mocked up. Now I am trying to figure out steering on the cheap.

Aside from vega boxes does anyone have a recommendation for a box and steering column that are easy to come by for cheap? I'm hoping for power steering so my wife will drive it too otherwise I would probably go with a cowel setup.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

After being a golf pro all summer and my son being born October 15th I am finally back at building my 47 ford. I have suspension well on its way and motor mounts mocked up. Now I am trying to figure out steering on the cheap.

Aside from vega boxes does anyone have a recommendation for a box and steering column that are easy to come by for cheap? I'm hoping for power steering so my wife will drive it too otherwise I would probably go with a cowel setup.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

What style of build are you doing, straight axle front, ifs, fenderless?

F1 box and column from the original truck, or one like it. Power steering is a different animal, but you really shouldn't need it on a lightweight hot rod.

Cowl steering is (generally speaking) a bad idea due to poor geometry.

You might get better results if you post the question in your build thread...

I used a power box off a S10 pickup with some kind of Chevy column in my 47 Lincoln. I think they sell a bracket for a Ford that bolts it right in, I had to fab my own mounting as the Lincoln is a little different.

I haven’t driven it yet, but sitting in the carport it steered easily with two fingers.

F1 box and column from the original truck, or one like it. Power steering is a different animal, but you really shouldn't need it on a lightweight hot rod.

Cowl steering is (generally speaking) a bad idea due to poor geometry.

You might get better results if you post the question in your build thread...

Thanks Crankenstein, I will add this in to my build thread as well.

I have what I think is a factory manual box but it doesnt seem to want to turn at all. I looked at having it rebuilt but the cheapest I can find to get that done up here in Canada is $489 plus shipping there and back so I will be around $600 plus figure out steering column etc. Seems steep to me.

I have a unisteer rack and pinion in my model A and even without power steering, it steers with one finger. Bolts to the Vega box mount.

Latest posts

Back