Second Wind - a Packard Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made the upper bridge to tie the rails together with 2 pieces of 1x2x.125
tubing to make a 4" wide piece, trying to keep the profile down so there will only be a 1/2" bump in the floor.

attachment.php

So today I took the diff out and welded up the 4 link brackets and decided I really hate the Panhard bar. A lot.
Bucked it off and trashed it - well, I will use the adjustable end and will build a wishbone Panhard like Old Iron suggested on Coupers build thread. I just couldn't live with the amount side to side movement of the rearend as it moves up and down. Better to decide this now I guess, just have to wait for the fork end bushings to come in....

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3538.JPG
    IMG_3538.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3541.JPG
    IMG_3541.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 78
Got the engine mounted today, pass side is fairly normal but the drivers side was more fun, crossmember has to dodge around the backside of the steering box. This is the second design, first time I had it coming across in front the steering box, then realized the pitman arm would hit it at left lock :mad:[;)[S
Also got my new wishbone Panhard bar tacked together, much happier with how this will keep the diff centered and it will give more room for the exhaust to come through and over the rear end.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3554.JPG
    IMG_3554.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3555.JPG
    IMG_3555.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3553.JPG
    IMG_3553.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3552.JPG
    IMG_3552.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 57
Great looking Frame!!![cl[P
I like the panhard bar design. Why didn't I think of thank?[S[S

Are you going to run a blower on your engine? I noticed the lower belt drive on the crank.
Makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited:
That's some awesome looking work ZZ....very nice.

The more I look at your frame the more I worry about needing some more bracing on the frame rails from the kick up to the trans area.

Do you think I really need it? The engine builder told me my motor is built for 600 HP but I think he might have been exaggerating.

If I do... could the additional set of parallel rails run outside the frame versus inside? I could follow my cab sill lines. I'll attach a picture to refresh your mind.

Sorry....just realized this is on your thread not mine

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF5450.jpg
    DSCF5450.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Great looking Frame!!![cl[P
I like the panhard bar design. Why didn't I think of thank?[S[S

Are you going to run a blower on your engine? I noticed the lower belt drive on the crank.
Makes perfect sense to me.

I can't take credit for the Panhard design, I saw pics OldIron posted on Coupers Dodge build thread, so I pilfered the idea for building mine :rolleyes:[;)
That's affirmative on the huffer, BDS 871, makes sense to me too...:):cool:

That's some awesome looking work ZZ....very nice.

The more I look at your frame the more I worry about needing some more bracing on the frame rails from the kick up to the trans area.

Do you think I really need it? The engine builder told me my motor is built for 600 HP but I think he might have been exaggerating.

If I do... could the additional set of parallel rails run outside the frame versus inside? I could follow my cab sill lines. I'll attach a picture to refresh your mind.

Sorry....just realized this is on your thread not mine

Thanks

If it were mine, I'd add something to the structure, it's a long stretch between the rear and front crossmember. I also like to use a crossmember under the engine mounts connecting the rails too for this reason. Not sure if running outside the rails would work right....might look goofy too.... Are you running any exhaust underneath or just lakes pipes? On my Rat55 build, I used the space under the cab outside of the rails for exhaust to run through.

If it were mine, I'd add something to the structure, it's a long stretch between the rear and front crossmember. I also like to use a crossmember under the engine mounts connecting the rails too for this reason. Not sure if running outside the rails would work right....might look goofy too.... Are you running any exhaust underneath or just lakes pipes? On my Rat55 build, I used the space under the cab outside of the rails for exhaust to run through.

Understood, I'll mock something up with 2x4 and see what I can do. Yes I will need that space at the sill area to run exhaust from the headers to stacks that will be in the front corners of the bed so I can't go outside anyway.

The frame is off the rack and I disassembled it but my guess is that it doesn't have to be on the rack to do this.

Thanks for your input ZZ... I'll keep you posted

Please look away if you don't like shiny engine parts [dr:cool: Couldn't resist playing with my Christmas presents and went ahead mocking up the blower. Don't have the blower carbs yet (expensive! :eek:), but you get the idea.... Thinking I may not need a hood ...[S:cool:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Finished up the panhard bar, did a bonehead move and welded it all up with the slip tube in it :mad: Had to use the press to get it out and smooth it out so it slides right again - gonna put a zerk fitting on it too. At this point I've worked myself out of a job. Waiting on parts, some I don't want to order and have them come while I'm in Arizona. Plus I need the body here so I can move ahead. At least it's a roller now :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3562.JPG
    IMG_3562.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3560.JPG
    IMG_3560.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3556.JPG
    IMG_3556.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3557.JPG
    IMG_3557.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 84
Gotta love the blown big block look.
Not to mention the "whine" of compressed horsepower being built and hoping the pop of valve is functioning properly if you have the balls to stay it that long. :eek::eek::cool::cool::eek::eek:

PS: That high pitched squeal might be the result of that sucking vacuum leak coming from your wallet!!!

That 871 looks massive compared to the 671's I used to run in my jet boat.
And I love it.

Enjoy your winter hide out.

Latest posts

Back