Make your own automatic shifter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what is the safest way to go? can you go buy a b&m or hurst floor shift kit and modify it a bit, like by making a longer shifter, do those shifters have the safety mechanisms on them? I have a turbo 400 do they just mount up with a universal bracket or do you have to get crafty?

I just bought a Lokar for mine. My dad had a different one and I sold it for more than I bought the Lokar for. All on e-Bay. If you have the know how or just want to do it yourself then go for it. Otherwise I think Lokar is the way to go. Just my .02

So what is the safest way to go? can you go buy a b&m or hurst floor shift kit and modify it a bit, like by making a longer shifter, do those shifters have the safety mechanisms on them? I have a turbo 400 do they just mount up with a universal bracket or do you have to get crafty?

just about any aftermarket floor shifter has all the safety gear needed. most shifters just mount to the tranny tunnel. the lokar and a couple others mount to the tail end of the tranny, they also come with safety set ups.

the ones ppl are talking about not locking out are the home made ones.

Run a standard....problem solved....(ok not everyone digs a stick shift,I know.) Actually an educational thred. Wish I would have read it when I have my 77 dodge 440/727. I made a shifter and blew the motor up cause I was young and dumb.

Run a standard....problem solved....(ok not everyone digs a stick shift,I know.) Actually an educational thred. Wish I would have read it when I have my 77 dodge 440/727. I made a shifter and blew the motor up cause I was young and dumb.

I would rather have a stick but it seems more complicated than my turbo 400. What manual could I bolt up behind a buick 455?

Latest posts

Back