Two things..........

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I spoke to Bill today (Gastrick) and he sounds great and is really doing well. So happy to see him beating his health issues.

Second subject, we have decided not to take any of our cars to Daytona for the Turkey Run this year, but will go together and just shop at the swap meet.

The reason is, there are no more night activities at BelleAire Plaza, and that was half of the reason we went to this show for over 30 years. It is not the decision of the Daytona Street Rods, but the decision of the City.

Going to BelleAire was all there was to do in Daytona at night, and the new spot they moved to is horrible. Very sterile and boring, and too spread out.

So, we will go, but hit the swap meet all day and then go to dinner at night and wrap it up. Hate to see this, BelleAire was a fixture of this event for everyone.

Sadly, I think a few rotten apples ruined it for everyone. Too much trash and too many rowdy people. :(

Yeah, the problem is, without being able to cruise over to BelleAire and hang out at night, there is almost nothing to do in Daytona. Everything is so scattered apart that at night you can't find any other cars to hang with.

They tried to come up with a solution at that one mall, but it is huge and cars are almost impossible to get in there, unless you show up really early. Not having BelleAire has sort of ruined it for us, and I bet a lot of others too. :(

So, we will go out to dinner, relax, then head back to the hotel and get an early start at the swap meet the next day, I guess.

BTW, do any of you Florida guys know when and where Billetproof will be held this year? It is generally in the Spring, Feb, March kinda, and I hope to have my rpu done by then.

Yeah, the problem is, without being able to cruise over to BelleAire and hang out at night, there is almost nothing to do in Daytona. Everything is so scattered apart that at night you can't find any other cars to hang with.

They tried to come up with a solution at that one mall, but it is huge and cars are almost impossible to get in there, unless you show up really early. Not having BelleAire has sort of ruined it for us, and I bet a lot of others too. :(

So, we will go out to dinner, relax, then head back to the hotel and get an early start at the swap meet the next day, I guess.

BTW, do any of you Florida guys know when and where Billetproof will be held this year? It is generally in the Spring, Feb, March kinda, and I hope to have my rpu done by then.

For 2020 their facebook (Billetproof) page says 7 March, but it also says it is yet to be determined :confused: :confused:
Unfortunately there are a lot of scumbags around Daytona, and they multiply during events in that town.
As for Daytona, you're right, there is absolutely nothing to do there at night. You could come to the Orlando Speedway and watch some local drag racing with me :)

That March 7th date is about when they have it generally, but it looks like they are still unsure.

DR. C, yep, it was so good to talk to Bill and see how upbeat he is. He just bought a new Mustang and has his Dad's Willys being put on a Morrison frame, then he is going to take over and finish it.

I don't know what he is made of, but he is about the toughest guy I know. Most of us would have folded, including me, if I had the prognosis he got that he was never going to walk again. The funny part is, he has never lost his upbeat attitude or sense of humor, regardless of how bad things got for him.

One of his Doctors asked him to go see another patient who was told she would never walk again so he could try to show her you can beat things if you really try. He did that, and I hope she does the same thing he did and fools them all.

To say I admire him is an understatement.

Thanks for sharing this Don. Depressing to hear about losing the BelleAire scene.

Yeah, it might seem silly and not that important, but Daytona is a big empty town at night, with not a lot to do. It was fun, driving into that shopping center, parking, and walking around looking at other people's cars and being able to just hang out, relaxing.

We also used to take lawn chairs and sit along A1A (the street that runs in front of the shopping center), with a cooler and just watch car after car drive by. We would be out there until late at night, with lots of people doing the same thing around us. Last year that stretch of road was like a ghost town.

To be honest, if it wasn't for enjoying the swap meet so much, I am not sure we would continue to go to this event, and we have been going for over 30 years. :(

Well, we have made a decision on what we are going to do for Turkey Run this year. We will not take our hot rods , but will ride up in Dan's pickup. And, while we are going, I am going to rent a U Haul trailer and take a bunch of unwanted parts to sell at the swap meet. I have my Austin Bantam drag body, frame, and running gear, plus a lot of other stuff that is just taking up space.

It works out pretty well, financially. If we just go in as spectators, it costs $15 each per day x 4 days x the 3 of us = $ 180.00. And, we have to park far away from the entrance to the show, and with my knee being iffy, I did not want to walk further than I needed to.

The swap meet spot cost me $ 150.00, plus an extra $55.00 for the 3rd person (two get in free when you rent a spot), so that comes to $ 205.00, and we can drive right into the swap meet and park there every day.

I do not plan on sitting with our items for sale all day, I want to shop myself, so we are going to chain stuff down, put a sign on it all with our phone number, and someone can call me if they are interested in anything. Selling the stuff is not as important to me as just being able to park inside, but if some stuff sells, all the better. :)

I can also put some lawn chairs there, and if my leg starts getting tired I can go back to our spot and chill for a while...……..maybe even with a cold brew !

Thanks for the update on Gastrick. Glad to hear he is doing well. Sounds like a good plan for the turkey run. I'm a swap meet junkie. and some day I'm going to make it to the turkey run.

I was thinking of doing the Turkey Run this year, but only one day trip, as I am getting more confident and taking this car where no one has taken it before. Is there a day that is the best or is it all one 4 day party?

Being almost neighbors as I see you are two hours away, this Saturday is our Strawberry Classic Cruise, always a big turnout, and more to do in this historic downtown area. Although the show is 3-8PM, I, as others do, start showing up as early as 9AM. The following Saturday I may do OldTown in Kissimee, an hour the other way and a weekly event.

I just went to Shake Station in Ellenton (near Bradenton) this past Sunday, which is a 51 mile ride. It was a nice drive in the morning, and a great place to hang out. But on the way back all of the yayhoos were out with the tailgaters the racers the gap shooters...I felt like I ran the Daytona 500 in 1958....

Here is a link to the happenings closer to you and up my way.

ROAMIN OLDIES

Latest posts

Back