How I legally registered my rat rod with no title

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Utah DMV was good to work with on our first Rat. I asked the lady at the counter how I could title a car I was going to build with my 6 grandsons? She thought that was sweet and cool for Grandpa to work with his grandsons. The rules state I needed to document with pictures, descriptions, cost and locations of parts used to build the Rat Rod. We did just that with every piece we used for the car. It was part of building the car with the grandsons. When the time came to title the rod, I took 6 grandsons down to the DMV and had them gathered around the lady showing her all of the pictures and detailed parts used with price and where found and sometimes even a bill of sale. Total price- $3761. We even had the amount of time spent on the car and the dates each grandson was on the project. With all of the required documentation, she said have the local police department must verify the vin on the body and bring us that back with $122 and I will give you the plates with current years stickers and you boys can go cruising. Next day, 6 grandsons and their grandfather was at the DMV at 7:30am with the document from the police officer that took a look at the Rat Rod and verified the vin number and asked for a ride around the block before handing us the signed document. Gramma even came out with a fresh loaf of banana bread and gave the officer a piece before he left in his squad car. At 8am I drove the oldest grandson to High School where all of his buddies druelled over the car he had been working on for 7 months. Everyday there after I drove one of the grandsons to their school and watched as they shared with their friends the rod they built. Long story but worth the time to find out what was needed to build a car that began with no title and has been titiled and driven since 2015. At renewal time I just pay the $22 and do all online.
Next project is a 58 Volvo PV544 we will make an ol school gasser. Bought with no tile but with a bill of sale- asked the officer to come and verify vin in the non runner hulk- took the paperwork down to the DMV and walked out with a vintage plate for $75 with current year stickers and we dont start the build until Jan 2019. Title and plates in hand before build begins is always soothing to the mind and heart.

OK, some of the guys here might need to borrow those 6 grandsons to butter up the DMV...[ddd[cl
and did I hear banana bread???

On every car I have built, I always did the "buy a title at the swap meet and make my car that car" routine. It has always worked, but, in recent years, that is becoming a little dicey.

There was a member on another forum who titled his home built 32 Ford as a 32 Ford, from a bought title. The car was stolen, and during the investigation, the man was arrested because the insurance company claimed a fiberglass 32 was being passed off as a REAL 32. He got into some very serious hot water, and it cost him a bunch of money. He was facing serious prison time.

So, for the rpu I am building, I am going to title it as an "Assembled from parts" car, and have saved every receipt, from the one for the crate motor, the transmission, the rear axle, the material to build the frame, and every little bolt and nut I have used on it.

I have those receipts separated in a notebook, by section, and my hopes are that when I go to the tag office the inspector will be so overwhelmed with all my paperwork that it will breeze through. My only concern is I hope they do not require modern touches to the car, like seat belts, or other safety items.

I will find out when the time comes, I guess.

On every car I have built, I always did the "buy a title at the swap meet and make my car that car" routine. It has always worked, but, in recent years, that is becoming a little dicey.

There was a member on another forum who titled his home built 32 Ford as a 32 Ford, from a bought title. The car was stolen, and during the investigation, the man was arrested because the insurance company claimed a fiberglass 32 was being passed off as a REAL 32. He got into some very serious hot water, and it cost him a bunch of money. He was facing serious prison time.

So, for the rpu I am building, I am going to title it as an "Assembled from parts" car, and have saved every receipt, from the one for the crate motor, the transmission, the rear axle, the material to build the frame, and every little bolt and nut I have used on it.

I have those receipts separated in a notebook, by section, and my hopes are that when I go to the tag office the inspector will be so overwhelmed with all my paperwork that it will breeze through. My only concern is I hope they do not require modern touches to the car, like seat belts, or other safety items.

I will find out when the time comes, I guess.

Don, curious if that time has come? And if so, how it worked out?

Here in BC we are very lucky we have a "lost or missing title search" available. Since we don't have private insurance there isn't as much red tape. You can literally take your bill of sale and an affidavit and apply to have the car registered in your name, even if the last registered owner is not the seller. If there are no serial #s left anywhere on the body or frame they'll give you a new one it only has to pass a government safety inspection.

I've gone that route a few times and it is surely skirting the edge of legality but has allowed me to get 4 totally scratch built vehicles on the road. I had more trouble with genuine VIN tagged cars that had no title, especially when coming from out of province. Found it was best to keep my yap shut on the extent of modifications to avoid having to come up with documentation on parts value, especially when you're getting stuff from swap meets, etc and paying cash. Just tell them the minimum of what they need to know, don't give up the farm. Also you are at the mercy of the DMV buerocracy and can be subject to having your paperwork cross the desk of a rule stickler having a bad day....

Don, curious if that time has come? And if so, how it worked out?

Title work is all done, now I just have to get plates and insurance when I get closer to getting it on the road.

I didn't want that part to hold me up at the end, so it is all taken care of.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back