Hercules

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my good friend Joel at Gordons Upholstery in Kelowna B.C. to put the top material on today, rounded up all the brown Sunbrella material to be found in Canada, apparently this color is discontinued :(
A nice match to the rest of it, the brass trim stands out more now, nicer than using the tack on hidem strip I think....

(
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4212.JPG
    IMG_4212.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4215.JPG
    IMG_4215.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4217.JPG
    IMG_4217.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4221.JPG
    IMG_4221.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 62
Todays engineering challenge was to get rid of the front Panhard bar to squeeze in a Watts link instead. the center swivel mounts to the axle and end links to the frame. The Panhard bar caused too much lateral movement of the axle from dropped to fully raised - when I'd drop from fully up to slammed, the steering wheel would spin 1/2 turn! Made for squirrely handling, especially in turns, when the body would lean, it would change direction, bump steer, etc., all bad and scary to sat the least. Now it stays centered, no steering wheel movement through suspension cycles, test drive tomorrow should be much less nerve wracking I hope. Used Panhard bars before on air suspended solid axles without this much trouble but there was something about the geometry here that was just no good.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4228.JPG
    IMG_4228.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4229.JPG
    IMG_4229.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 69
So I'm looking at the front end and decided the grille is too short - I'd like to have mounted it lower but the whole crossmember/air bag setup forced the rad and grille to be that high ..Today I cut it at the bottom and added 3" to the shell and grille - first pic is the before.
Also added the floor of 5/8 plywood and some brown rubber backed carpet runner - it'll do for now - it may even stay like that ...:rolleyes:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4196.JPG
    IMG_4196.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4234.JPG
    IMG_4234.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4236.JPG