37 gmc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm late to the party but Your truck is the sum total of what most of us would like to build. It's got all the right stuff and is built by a good guy with lot of skill and experience.

oh wow, that sure looks great man!

can you take a vid walkaround with it rumpity rumping and potatopotatopotatopotato? (say it out loud!)

[cl[cl[cl[cl

I decided to remove the Vega steering box and install a rack and pinion.
:eek: What a difference it made in the control of the vehicle [dr
This truck has a 48" measurement from kingpin to kingpin and a Dodge Omni rack fits with very little modification.
Since the rack is rear steer what I had to do was cut 3/4" off both tie rods and use the lathe to cut the jamb nuts in half, make a bolt-in mount then make tapered shims because of the difference in the steering arm and the tie rod ends shaft size. I used a Mustang ll u-joint 9/16" 26 spline.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 94
Every time anybody asks about putting a r&p on a beam axle, yours is what I told them would be the way to do it. Much better IMHO than trying to mount it to the axle and having to have some kind of telescopic steering shaft

The way he mounted it is a similar idea to the unisteer racks.

It is.
On this style you eliminate the push pull part and hook the r&p to the tie rod holes on the spindles.
The part I like too is, ya have to be lookin straight at it to know it's R&P

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 125.jpg
    125.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 126.jpg
    126.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 106
Had a rocker arm oil passage plug up and wore out a pushrod so I bought a set of Hot Heads adjustable push rods and now all is good again.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20191004_133218.jpg
    20191004_133218.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 77

Latest posts

Back