What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a postive note,Im glad I got out of trucking.I bought a old fixer uper home+I got some old cars to work on.Took the ft end off of my 37 Packard project yest.It has a really cool looking ft. susp..I will post photos soon

On a postive note,Im glad I got out of trucking.I bought a old fixer uper home+I got some old cars to work on.Took the ft end off of my 37 Packard project yest.It has a really cool looking ft. susp..I will post photos soon

Awwww Yeah!

The Weekend is HERE!

I've yanked the dizzy that was originally on the BBC 396 (.060" over 408 cu.in.) due to it running out of steam at just over 4000 RPM's. I replaced the vacuum advance canister on it with one that pulled in full advance at 8"Hg (motor only makes about 12"Hg) installed a performance module and it had a stock, used coil (the Super Coil cap had an interference fit with the firewall issue). Cap and rotor were brass contacts. Still...it 'seemed' as though this part was just not up to the job.
I've bought an aftermarket HEI, CNC machined distributor that has an adjustable vacuum advance can, a performance module and coil and cap/rotor that use the brass contacts. The tolerances and materials are far superior to the ones I'm replacing.
Anyone have any issues similar to mine?
Today the plan is to go through the numbers and get this thing in and the truck back up and runnin...and runnin better I hope.
later

I've had the part in the distributor that the advance plate rotates on get gummed up or some corrosion on it and not turn properly.

i had a 305 v6 in my 63 GMC and it would lose power. I said "torque engine" down at the Napa and an old timer told me bs and asked me what points i was running. I said the cheap pnes. he said go premium, the cheap ones float at lower rpm's and drop power. then he went on to tell me that the 305 v6 was a big truck engine designed to be wound out between gears and not lugged.
it had a mechanical cam a 2 bbl carb and so much overlap in the cam that the exhaust always smelled rich.
But putting in a high quality set of points and having correct valve lash woke that thing up.
out you foot to the floor and it would just keep pulling

Child labor

Found a great way to get all that gooy glue crap off the windshield frame:
Invite daughter to lunch
Offer to teach her something about car building
Give her a scraber and let her go.

Attachments

• spr 0014.jpg
    spr 0014.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 35
Built the exhaust on my A Bucket. Made a step/heat shield so I won't my little leg gettin out.

Attachments

• a bucket 117 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 117 (Small).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 30
  • a bucket 118 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 118 (Small).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 29
  • a bucket 120 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 120 (Small).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 25
Mostly worked that the fire school. But had a chance to put the Generator off the Rambler and started making brackets to install and alternator.

Launched my boat, let the sailing season begin.[cl

Did I mention I hate you?[ddd That's a wild looking launch rig. Not much sailing goes on here in Appalachia so I never really thought about what it would take to get one of those tall boys in the water. That's a fine looking boat.......if you'd take me sailing I'd probably get over my 'hate spell' :D
Have a fun summer sailing! :cool:

I got very little done. My "part time job" has become 5 and 6 days a week. I was supposed to be off Thursday and Friday, but they called both days and asked if I could come in. Being the money grubber I am, I went gladly. :D

But today I was off so I went to that swap meet that is held the last Sunday of the month at the muscle car museum. Not a lot there, but I bought a sbc complete gasket set new in the box for $25 and two brand new one inch carb spacers for $5 each. I was ready to buy some stuff but there wasn't much that I needed.

One thing I did look over was a slightly rough 89 Vette without motor or trans for $1000 OBO. I was kinda interested but that series was never my favorite, and they had a lot of electrical issues I understand. So the angel on my right shoulder won out and I passed on it. :D

Don

I got very little done.

I was ready to buy some stuff but there wasn't much that I needed.

One thing I did look over was a slightly rough 89 Vette without motor or trans for $1000 OBO.

Don
Same here. My relief called in on saturday so my day shift turned into 16 hours. I did dig the bike out a ran errands with the wife on it. Finally warm enough for it.

You could have parted the vette quick for about a $500-$750 profit. Or gutted it, put a turbo 5.3L and a 6spd in it for an auto cross rig for under $4K. Or turbo 5.3L, TH400 and an 8.8 rear for a little less and have some drag time fun! [cl

Well....Saturday I finally painted the Grandson's

Monte Carlo that he bought for 200 bucks...ran good but the rear bumper was hanging off as the quarters were rusted out...and the right front fender was caved in......don't make patch panels for the quarters, so I did some out of the door skins a week or so ago....had them in prime but no paint....so I painted the left and right sides, and the kid had picked up a used fender for the right front so I painted and hung that.....came out ok for a beater..... but Nothing on my own stuff.... :( Then visited my daughter at the prison....that's always fun....not....at least she's doing better and trying to work on getting her life together......heck of a way to do it...:(

Attachments

• Front fender painted.jpg
    Front fender painted.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 21
  • left rear painted.jpg
    left rear painted.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Right rear painted.jpg
    Right rear painted.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back