Hercules

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
So after spending time in Arizona this winter for the first time in 3 yrs, I found it disturbing to not have a rod to drive there - whirring around the Fossil Farm in the golf cart just isn't cutting it anymore....
In the spirit of Bob W, who always has 4 or more projects on the go (My Hero[cl), I decided to dive into another project to take to AZ and keep there.
Starting with the Hercules grille shell from an old welder, I'm going to scratch build a ground scraping ratty pickup along the lines of a late 20's Dodge, Graham or Fargo truck (sorry Bob for ripping off your idea:eek:)
The front axle is a 40's Chev pu that I pruned all the mounts and barbs off of and drilled for perch bolts like a Ford axle, frame horns were for a stillborn project from a few years ago. Starting with the 'ol soapstone, did a full scale drawing on the floor to get the dimensions sorted out. The plan is to be full fendered with the fenders mounted to the front trailing arms and rear link arms so they will always be close to the tires - we'll see how it works out.....[S
Trying to track down an organ donor right now - 70's Ford 1/2 ton for the 9" diff and a bunch of other components, maybe even engine and trans.
Last pic is a Graham truck I spotted at the Cloud museum in Bard Calif., it really got my gears turning :cool:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3572.JPG
    IMG_3572.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_3577.JPG
    IMG_3577.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_3579.JPG
    IMG_3579.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3585.JPG
    IMG_3585.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3587.JPG
    IMG_3587.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3588.JPG
    IMG_3588.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 20220208_113120.jpg
    20220208_113120.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 245
CAVE MAN drawings to full on hot rod.....

Nothing to it for the man of many talents.
The gawkers are gathering and we are watching with great interest.[cl[P:cool:

Good luck on the Herk. I know it will be a stunner. I hope to get started on my project by late summer.

Thanks guys! I've already got a bunch of the small chassis parts and more stuff on the way, going to fill my oxy/acet tanks today and start cutting out the side pieces for the rear frame kickup from steel plate, much of the other frame material is in my 'inventory'. This build is kinda what I had in mind when I built the Hennway, but when my wife started picking colors and upholstery swatches, it became a shiny hotrod. :rolleyes:
This one will be a no-bondo, all Rustoleum satin/flat, 'look at the welds' thing that I won't have worry about scratching. Fenders will be fun to make, I was studying some Model T fenders at the Cloud Museum for ideas, they are so simple yet neato....

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20220208_110426.jpg
    20220208_110426.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 91
This is going to be a SWEET project! I can't wait to see what you do with it! I can't decide if I'm more excited for this or the gasser.

You'll start and finish 2 cars in the time it takes me to start working on one. Maybe I'll get the chassis done before you're driving both cars down the road!

Mother nature is the best "Rat Rod Color". If you just got to have paint Rustoleum applied with a brush is a perfect combination.
2.jpg

Latest posts

Back