1948 Thriftmaster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I found a few minutes today to put the motor roughly in it's place. I think it's going to be a decent fit, a few challenges but so far so good. I may have some difficulty getting the motor low enough to get the driveshaft to clear the underside of the rear cab mount/crossmember. I can only go so low with the motor, due to the oil pan/MII crossmember clearance, and I want the motor forward enough to clear the firewall. I also need to be sure of the clearance between the rack and pinion/harmonic balancer, so I was lucky enough to be able to borrow the rack back again for a few days. Hopefully I'll be solving these issues over the next few days without too much rework of anything! I guess a two piece driveshaft would be one way of resolving it.

LIKE A GLOVE!!! Nice...[cl

Spent a little more time on the truck this morning. I lifted the motor back out and rolled the frame around in order to cut open the rack and pinion notches (forgive me, they are still a little on the crude side, but once I weld the filler plates in, they will clean up better!). I can't hold on to the rack for too long (I borrowed it back again!) as it has to be returned - you can see the squashed tubes in some of the pictures, it must have taken a good hit.

I installed the rack and put the motor back into place. and it has just enough clearance around the rack. With the motor as low as I can, and have it set at 4 degrees....and the driveshaft is going to be too close, or even make contact with the cab mount crossmember. So, I think I'm going to eliminate the center mount, and sandwich a 1.5"X 3" tube along the top of the crossmember, with a good size notch cut out of the orginal crossmember. That will give me ample clearance for the driveshaft.

My logic is that although designed to allow for frame flex, I have hopefully eliminated a lot of that flex with the boxing and bracing, therefore I hope to bolt the cab (with rubber cushions either side) through the new tube and not have any problems. I do want to run a 1 piece driveshaft, and this should allow that. If any of you guys see any flaws in my plan, let me know soon!

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190622_122838.jpg
    thumbnail_20190622_122838.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 41
  • thumbnail_20190622_122851.jpg
    thumbnail_20190622_122851.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 39
  • thumbnail_20190622_122920.jpg
    thumbnail_20190622_122920.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 40
  • thumbnail_20190622_122951.jpg
    thumbnail_20190622_122951.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 34
Like all these "new design" engines, that LS is great, but in stock form UGLY! :eek: Too many wires and hoses coving it up! Hope you can get it prettied up easily!

Thanks everyone. I know what you mean Bama, about LS's being kinda ugly...but actually, they are starting to grow on me! I guess I kinda like how complicated they look now. There won't be much hiding all that mess on top of the engine.
I put the cab on this morning, just to confirm that there was enough room while I still had the rack and pinion in my possession. The cab still needed to come forward about 1", but I had room behind the passenger side head so I was happy with it. Assembled and welded the motor mounts, still to trim the frame side and tack it in place. Assembled and welded the tranny mount, still have to trim the tubes and weld them in place. Hopefully I'll knock both those jobs off tomorrow, and possibly start on my rear cab mount crossmember changes.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190624_095550.jpg
    thumbnail_20190624_095550.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 32
  • thumbnail_20190624_104853.jpg
    thumbnail_20190624_104853.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 33
  • thumbnail_20190624_154915.jpg
    thumbnail_20190624_154915.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 29
  • thumbnail_20190624_155048.jpg
    thumbnail_20190624_155048.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 29
  • thumbnail_20190624_154959.jpg
    thumbnail_20190624_154959.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 29
I know what you mean about these engines.
I still like to look under the hood and recognize what I'm looking at.:eek:
I guess I'm a Luddite...[ddd
[P [P [P
Torchie

Tacked up the transmission and motor mounts in place. Just have to pull the motor and do the final welding now. I should make up that cab mount crossmember while I can still put the cab back on for final fitment....maybe tomorrow.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190626_114550.jpg
    thumbnail_20190626_114550.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbnail_20190626_114730.jpg
    thumbnail_20190626_114730.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 18
  • thumbnail_20190626_114604.jpg
    thumbnail_20190626_114604.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 17
  • thumbnail_20190626_114630.jpg
    thumbnail_20190626_114630.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 18
I had a few minutes this morning to cross brace the transmission mount. I also welded down the new center cab mount tube - I still have to cut the big notch in the original. It was SO hot though, I don't know how you southern guys stand it. 29C with a humidex of 37!

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190702_120242.jpg
    thumbnail_20190702_120242.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 27
  • thumbnail_20190702_120258.jpg
    thumbnail_20190702_120258.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 25
I don't know how you southern guys stand it. 29C with a humidex of 37!

Giant sweat glands, lots of ice water, don't get in a hurry.

Heat index of 41C today. I saw a dog chasing a cat ... and they were both walking!

Work a little, rest a little, work a little, rest a lot! Older I get, the less I like the heat or the cold. Spring and fall are my time of the year.

Been in the mid 90’s here last couple of weeks. That’s F, not C. I can’t figure that C stuff out!

Looks good Bill.[cl :D :cool:
Seems like it's hot everywhere.
The humidity has been high up here which used to be a rarity for us.
Makes it a little tough on old Torchies pumper.
Be sure to keep hydrated, Bill. If you don't. Your blood literally turns to sludge.
Stay cool everyone.
Torchie

Work a little, rest a little, work a little, rest a lot! Older I get, the less I like the heat or the cold. Spring and fall are my time of the year.

Been in the mid 90’s here last couple of weeks. That’s F, not C. I can’t figure that C stuff out!

That seems to be my new 'Granny " gear . Bama.
:eek: [ddd
Torchie

Looks good Bill.[cl :D :cool:
Seems like it's hot everywhere.
The humidity has been high up here which used to be a rarity for us.
Makes it a little tough on old Torchies pumper.
Be sure to keep hydrated, Bill. If you don't. Your blood literally turns to sludge.
Stay cool everyone.
Torchie

Thanks Torchie! Due to these meds he has me on, my doctor told me flat out - DRINK more liquids! I've been better at it lately. I appreciate the reminder!

Take care of yourself, Bill!

I don't have any heart issues that I know of, but I've accomplished "heat exhaustion" more times than I care to remember. Those many events have rendered me "heat sensitive" to the point where I'll get physically ill if I'm "warmed" a few degrees above normal. I can't imagine my condition coupled with a heart condition... the two combined would probably finish me!

. Spring and fall are my time of the year.

Mine, too. I'm still looking for the place where it's 63° F all year 'round... 40% humidity, maximum. (Humidity is the killer. A "dry heat" is bearable and a "dry cold" is equally bearable, extremes excluded.)

Degrees Celsius x 1.8 + 32 = Degrees Fahrenheit. Does that help? ;)

Degrees Celsius x 1.8 + 32 = Degrees Fahrenheit. Does that help? ;)

I knew there was a formula, just too much figurin' for me!

When you grow up under one system, use that system all your life, and then someone tries to change systems on you, it's hard on an old dog to learn new tricks! Our Congress tried to push us into using the metric system back in the late 70's early 80's, we fought back and they blinked. I sorta like metric bolts, measured in mm, they seem to be a closer tolerance than standard bolts. But those oddballs that metric nor standard wrenches fit drive me crazy!

I hear ya Bama.

If I'm not mistaken, Canada "officially" implemented the metric system in 1978. It was in the works for a number of years and took many more years to become fully integrated. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I was schooled before the metric system and I still think in miles and gallons. The only metric measure I can comprehend or relate to, is the temperature... because it's been posted and reported in Celsius for 41 years.

P.S. Twenty some years ago, I was collaborating with a cabinet maker and he wanted measurements in millimeters. I asked, why? He said millimeters are more accurate than a sixteenth. Hmmm... I understand a mm is smaller than a sixteenth, but I failed to understand the logic... you're either on the mark, or the next one over.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back