Spun Aluminums

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyDon

Have any of you guys used those spun aluminum discs that screw to the rim with self tapping screws? Pros...Cons? Speedway sells them for $20. each. Or are the snap on ones the better way to go. Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks

Snap-ons look like crap. My $.02

Huh??????? How are the snap ons any different from the screw ons in appearance other than they don't have 3 holes in the perimeter ?? :confused:

Snap ons:

moonsnapon.jpg

Screw ons:
moonscrewon.jpg

These snap ons look pretty darned good to me.

moondisc.jpg

Don

I ran the screw on ones for years. The snap on ones don't look as good up close, they fit like a hub cap and stick out passed the lip of the wheel.
Tim

I ran the screw on ones for years. The snap on ones don't look as good up close, they fit like a hub cap and stick out passed the lip of the wheel.
Tim

I take it you didn't have any issues with stripping the screw holes out. I was also wondering about the fit of the snap-ons compared to the screw on.

Don, that coupe does look darned good, but then it would look good to me even if it didn't have any wheels at all.

Thanks for the input guys. [S

snap on are ok.... but they stick out a little to far in my opinion...they sit out side the wheel, where the screw on ones sit inside the rim and the snap on ones i have run tend to make a clicking noise at slow speeds..... and i have had some Moon snap on discs and some cheap off brand ones..... they all did it. they also can be kinda tricky to snap on without denting them at .

I like the screw on discs. a lot of the snap on discs (not moon) look like a hub cap. You have to stay on top of the screws, they get loose and the disc has to come of to check your air pressure(unless you move stem to inside the wheel).
You haven't lived until you have chased a snap on across 6 lanes of traffic in LA.
If you race they must be removed to check lug nuts during inspection. I have started getting the dzus fasteners discs, they are so much easier to remove and replace. They are pricey but give you the real salt flat look.

Attachments

• b-ville 2009.jpg
    b-ville 2009.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 11
I've only had the screw on style. Thought they looked slightly better. Drilled & tapped the holes instead of trying to force the self tapping screw.

Live and learn, I guess. I've never owned a set of either so I just assumed the snap ons were exactly like the screw ons except for no holes and no nubs on the backside to grip the wheel. Looks like they might be different from what you guys say.

Don

I had a friend who ran them on his 48 F100 and after a few years the holes wollered out and he had to re-drill them but other than that not an issue. Having to take them off to check air pressure seemed like a PITA to me. Don't know nothing on the snap on ones.

I've only had the screw on style. Thought they looked slightly better. Drilled & tapped the holes instead of trying to force the self tapping screw.
Good point.
OK, I think I have a decision. I'm gona order the screw on ones, tap the holes and maybe look into puttin stems on the inside.
Thanks for advice everyone. Much appreciated.

I personally like them attached with Dzus fasteners. Also, not all of the snap-ons are created equal. Some of them are awful and some such as the "Mooneyes" brand are okay.

Screw ons are my choice. Drill and tap, be sure to break the bead before drilling, don't ask how i know. keep the screws tight lessens the loose hole thing.
MHO:cool:

I use to run snap on style caps on theBonehead truck, and they were okay. They did stand off the rim by 1/8 inch or so. I started running without them, no real reason, just to change the look a little I guess.
1BoHuffmusem.jpg

Latest posts

Back