1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My "stepfather" once had himself a nice, wavy hood on a nice Ford PU... it had a few hail dents before I got my hands on it! :eek:

Is your friend still alive? Did you meet him at the prosthetic clinic? :p

LOl . He was the kind of guy that if and when the old blade flew apart it would have missed him and hit some one else and then he would tell them they should have been more careful. :confused: :confused: I tried to explain to him the fact that even though it has a smaller motor the RPM of the angle grinder was WAY faster then a table saw would have been.
He wasn't buying it though.:eek:
Thanks for the "Soap on the disc" tip. dutch.:cool: :cool:
Torchie

Thanks, joe!

Round 77.

As previously noted, some gorilla got his hairy mitts on a slide hammer and created this pretty little mountain range...

attachment.php

Nice job, Magilla. :mad:

Naturally, the row of peaks is not open from behind... so we fashioned a long, slim, wide, curved "dolly" to slip down inside the structure. (Sorry, no picture. :eek: I'll get one next time, I promise.)

The improvised tool allowed some hammer therapy, which helped the situation considerably, along with the magical shrinking disc. (Thanks again, dutch, for provoking the purchase. :D)

Last episode, I was whining about the pictures. (It has become obvious, several "hot" light sources, bare metal and random scratch patterns do not play well with a camera.) Today, I continued to struggle, but managed one good shot following a heavy session with 40 grit on the DA, some lights defeated...

attachment.php

Next, we addressed the gawdawful tail light holes. (You're welcome, Bill. ;)) Since these holes were torch cut by a drunken one-eyed epileptic, we decided not to make 12 flush fitting patches. We chose instead, to cheat with two large pieces from the backside. This is definitely a compromise and not the best way to do it, but we're willing to cut this corner, this time...

attachment.php

One last picture. The patches are fully welded and ground. We'll need a little filler (.060") to make the four eyes disappear. Though the angle of this shot exaggerates somewhat, the eyes are indeed crooked, both on a slant and the right pair are an inch lower than the left!

attachment.php

Attachments

• body26.jpg
    body26.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 70
  • body77.JPG
    body77.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 69
  • body80.jpg
    body80.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 69
  • body82.JPG
    body82.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 71
Thank you Doc.....and thanks for making the coffee come out my nose this morning! I had a good laugh when I got to your "one eyed drunken epileptic". You sure did a nice job of flattening out all those stretched slide hammer marks. That's up there with "Dutch" work!

I almost needed a smoke after that tool description. Please make sure any pics are tastefully presented. [ddd

Thanks guys!

From the minute the mess was fully exposed, I was scratching my head... WHAT are we going to do with THAT??? I had visions of cutting half the skin off, which is why we left the holes alone 'til now...

Anyhow, we're happy the effort was not in vain and turned out better than I thought possible!

attachment.php

Attachments

• body82 - Copy.jpg
    body82 - Copy.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 109
I almost needed a smoke after that tool description. Please make sure any pics are tastefully presented. [ddd

Here ya go, Skip...

It's 4.5" wide, 18" long, 3/16" thick and weighs 2.5 pounds. (I provided a Bic if you need a light.)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Seriously now... when you have this chunk in your hand, you start lookin' for something or someone to slap. (I should make another and keep it in my crawlspace.)

Attachments

• body slap.JPG
    body slap.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 77
  • body slap1.JPG
    body slap1.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 77
Back to the mutant tailpan.

We have another EMS piece, known as the floor extension. We understand it's meant to fit EMS floor pans and we don't know if it does, don't care! Anyhow, out of the box, it pecks out an inch too far and stands too high...

attachment.php

We cut the top of the extension off, which allowed it to move in and down.

Fit check. Extension flange to tailpan flange...

attachment.php

Closer, but not close enough... and we have a bubble that's a little too bubbly. The other side fits the same but different. (It needs more bubble in the pan.)

Next, we pie cut the extension to help fit the corners...

attachment.php

attachment.php

That worked well, so we reformed the bubbles and test fit again...

attachment.php

Much better and the other side fits much the same.

Along the way, we found it necessary to flatten the pan some more. It still had too much radius/crown, so we made three more relief cuts. We also found it necessary to "stretch" the width a fat 1/8"... eyeball... eyeball... eyeball... fairly satisfied, we marked and cut the pan for the impending graft and tried the fit again...

attachment.php

Good, except for the visible gap where we need to replace some missing flesh.

Our next pleasure will be the weatherstrip channel. It's wildly inconsistent and asymmetrical everywhere we measure. It's nothing remotely close to matching the original dimensions and profile, so we'll have to cut it off and fabricate another. :mad:

attachment.php

We'll both be happy when this misery ends and we can move on to something (anything) else!

Attachments

• body56.jpg
    body56.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 54
  • body89.jpg
    body89.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 54
  • body84.jpg
    body84.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 54
  • body85.jpg
    body85.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 54
  • body87.jpg
    body87.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 53
  • body91.jpg
    body91.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 53
  • body86.jpg
    body86.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 53
That's crazy how much you had to modify these things.
Did I miss something and you had to buy parts for a 40 or what?

Latest posts

Back