Hercules

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More frame work. Had a couple bag mount plates, so I added some 1/4" plate to them to make the front crossmember and tacked in the rear member too. Lots of time spent getting everything level and square, someday it would be nice to have a frame table, but nowhere to put it tho....

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3650.JPG
    IMG_3650.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3651.JPG
    IMG_3651.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3652.JPG
    IMG_3652.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 76
Thanks E-man. Not being a shiny build is going to save me a lot of time (and sandpaper) which is important to get this one roadworthy by October. Nothing like having a deadline to inspire production :rolleyes::D

Working on mounting points for the front trailing arms and rear links. Got some beefy Heims with 5/8" bolts. Also added a support piece on the outside for double shear strength.

attachment.php

Inside I cut a hole and used the plug to weld to a piece of tubing to weld in the mount hole, doubling the mount hole thickness.

attachment.php

On the left rear side, I added brackets to mount the forward end of the diagonal link track locator.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3654.JPG
    IMG_3654.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3657.JPG
    IMG_3657.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3655.JPG
    IMG_3655.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3656.JPG
    IMG_3656.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 67
Doing front end mock up to get an idea where the Vega box mounts so I can now order the drag link. The trailing arms will be pretty much parallel to the frame so it'll need a Panhard bar tucked in there somewhere. I've had the disc brake kit for over 10 yrs for this 1941 pickup axle, but when I opened the parts box, found that it was for a 47-59, which has longer spindles :( As luck would have it, I had recently inherited a 47 axle, so most of yesterday was used up swapping spindles on 70+ year old axles - lots of heating and beating - good thing I had a kingpin kit :) The bags are pretty much hidden when it's at full drop like this.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Pulled the 9" out of the donor truck, whacked off the mounts and scrubbed of some of the 50 yr old crustys. This is about where it will sit, time to start mount making. [;)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3659.JPG
    IMG_3659.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3662.JPG
    IMG_3662.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3661.JPG
    IMG_3661.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3658.JPG
    IMG_3658.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 54
The progress you can make in a week or two is admirable ZZ! I just want to know how you keep your shop so clean with all that welding and grinding going on? When I spend even and hour or so fabricating, my place starts to look and smell like an old foundry!

The progress you can make in a week or two is admirable ZZ! I just want to know how you keep your shop so clean with all that welding and grinding going on? When I spend even and hour or so fabricating, my place starts to look and smell like an old foundry!

Heh, heh, I just swept it before the pics, every day a dustpan full of grit. Lots of crud hiding in the corners and on just about everything else. Once the Packard is gone, I'll get my leaf blower and blast everything out the door - or further into the corners :) Yep, it does stink of burnt metal, the smell of progress :D[;)

Rear suspension all sorted out, just need disassembly and finish welding. I used the F100 Ubolts and mount plates to mount the control arms and save $$$. The shocks came from the donor too, they had been recently put on it, in good shape, heavy duty ones, why not.:)
Axle mounts are just tacked for now in case I need to adjust the pinion angle later.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Two days worth of grit production from fabbing the rear suspension....

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3672.JPG
    IMG_3672.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3673.JPG
    IMG_3673.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3674.JPG
    IMG_3674.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3675.JPG
    IMG_3675.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3677.JPG
    IMG_3677.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 69
Just picked up the wheels from powder coating, fronts are 55 Chev, rfears are off the donor F100 - gotta have some kinda shiny parts... :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3678.jpg
    IMG_3678.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Back