Hercules

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been working on adding to the cab framing, boring but necessary on a scratch build like this. Added tube pieces to the doorframes to create a ledge for the weatherstrip to seat on, also framing around the front and rear windows for a seal to fit against as both front and back windows will be hinged to tip out - flow thru ventilation! :cool:
Also added tubing to the top plates for more stiffness. Once the top wood is in, I'll add 3 crossmembers to help tie it together and screw the top strips to. My idea is to have the top wood exposed on the inside like a woody wagon...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3781.JPG
    IMG_3781.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3780.JPG
    IMG_3780.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3782.JPG
    IMG_3782.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3783.JPG
    IMG_3783.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3784.JPG
    IMG_3784.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 81
I love working with old tin and re-making it into my version of 'correct' for sure. But with this kind of build, I'm not having to fit stuff into a existing body, I just make the chassis how I want it, mount the drivetrain where I like and build around it. The biggest thing to keep in mind is looking ahead to where things go and how they relate to finished concept, trying to make it look cool, be comfortable to drive and not end up looking "unique" - (polite word for weird-o)

Mounted the pedals today, used all the F100 parts, just had to move things around a little [;)
Brake pedal arm needed reshaping and I shrunk the pedal pad down to the size of the clutch pedal, shortened the column 7". 1/4" plate and 1' x 1/8" tubing to mount it so no bolts thru the firewall. Made a simple recessed lower mount from exhaust tubing with a pinch bolt, this moves the u-joint back into the firewall to get it away from the head and rear pipe, might get lucky and not need to cut any pipes for steering shaft clearance. :) Steering wheel came today, right on time. The third u-joint just came so tomorrow I'll find out how that works out, hopefully finish the steering.
Have to put on my thinking touque to come up with the bellcrank mechanism to mount the master cylinder sideways under the dash...[S[S

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3806.JPG
    IMG_3806.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3808.JPG
    IMG_3808.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3809.JPG
    IMG_3809.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3810.JPG
    IMG_3810.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 66
ZZ, that looks great [cl
I'll be steeling some of that info, I don't have much room for the brake master or steering column,[P Thanks

Lot's of great idea's here, ZZ.
I'm with Mac on stealing the recessed steering U joint.
I'm 100 percent with you on the therapy part. Just spent 3 hours in the shop and felt the best I have in month's. Of course tomorrow may be another thing entirely. I'll let my PT deal with that.:eek: :D
[P [P [P
Torchie

Steering is complete - it's squeaker but a miss is as good as a mile I figure :cool: No header mods needed - pure luck in that situation...

attachment.php

Ever have 'made to fit' parts that don't fit??The headers are made for this engine/trans combo but the clutch throwout arm hit the collector flange and on the pass side the collector hit the bellhousing. I performed a collectorectomy (new word!!) and added 3" to each, angling them out of the way at the same time.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3816.JPG
    IMG_3816.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3818.JPG
    IMG_3818.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3819.JPG
    IMG_3819.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 61