I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Driver Dave, Jerry and I drove to Union Grove Wi., to the Outa Sight Drags last weekend. We arrived on Thursday and went through tech and got a pit space. Friday we had 3 races and won them all. Ran an 11.295 which is almost a personal best. There was a lot of gassers there, several nostalgia Super Stocks, Front engine dragsters and even a couple Fuel Altereds. But no other 6 cylinder racers. Rain Saturday put an end to the festivities. We had a great time at this well-run event.
Here's Dave ready to light 'em up in the water box.

Attachments

• IMG_2961.jpg
    IMG_2961.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 38
One of the front tires has a big gouge in it. I spotted a new pair of bike tires in Gruber's shop. He didn't want them. I did. Trouble is they are 15's and the dragster is sporting 16's on '35 Ford spoke rims. Fortunately I have a pair of somewhat rare (and narrow)T-Bird aluminum spare rims. So I took my trusty tire irons and put the tires on the rims.

Attachments

• IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2967.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 18
Well, those front wheels didn't work. The center registration hole is too small.

On another front, Driver Dave's son, Al designed and made us these team shirts. Mine says "Owner" Dave's says "Driver' and Jerry's says "Crew". Way cool, eh?

Attachments

• IMG_2986.jpg
    IMG_2986.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 14
Super kool Bob, lookin real perfessional !:D
Couldn't you just ream the center hole out to fit the hubs?
Sure he can.I enlarged the center hole on a pair of steel wheels with a 4" grinder. Took a minute, but just kept grinding and test fitting until it slid on all the way.
Aluminum might be harder to grind because it's so soft and will load up a grindstone quick.

Sure he can. I enlarged the center hole on a pair of steel wheels with a 4" grinder. Took a minute, but just kept grinding and test fitting until it slid on all the way.
Aluminum might be harder to grind because it's so soft and will load up a grindstone quick.

I have to increase the hole diameter by almost 3/4" inch. The aluminum is a half inch thick. Spent 2 hours with an aluminum cutting burr in a die grinder and made it about a quarter of the way. It just isn't worth it.

Okay, you guys shamed me into trying again. I made a drill guide out of 1/4" by 5" plate that bolts to three lug nut holes. Bought a 3 1/2" hole saw blade and commenced to drill. The batteries don't want to turn that large diameter blade very long. I get lots of rest breaks. It's going to work though.

The pilot hole is centered but the hole saw wants to hunt off axis a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpg
    IMG_2988.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 26
I didn't think about using a hole saw, great idea. What you need is a good 1/2" corded drill to run it though. My old one took a dump, so I picked up one at Harbor Freight. I'll have to say I was impressed. I didn't really like their electric stuff before, but this one seems to be as good or better than the Black and Decker it replaced, time will tell. I use my battery drill a lot, but for big jobs you just can't beat a good plug in tool.

We ran at Brainerd this weekend. Set a personal best of 11.28. Next is the Fall-Out at Rock Falls, Wi. in mid-September. This winter the digger will get a beauty makeover. I'll also try to find a few more ponies. Would love to get in the 10's. Last pic from left to right; me, Dave and Jerry
Hard to believe this thread has had over 650,000 views. Thank you everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_3033.jpg
    IMG_3033.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3034.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 301618592_6017885071572640_172543862831756782_n.jpg
    301618592_6017885071572640_172543862831756782_n.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back