My 40 Dodge Truck Build - Maybe a 41 LOL

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank Smallfoot!

You guys know if there are any legal specs on headlight heights. spaces between ect?

With the proper space I need for travel at front wheels lock to lock I'm at 27.5" road to center & 32" from center to center. I'll be 2" back from the front edge of the grill & 1.5" back from the edge of the frame horns.

It's really where I have to be to get 2.5" of travel at wheel lock when the tire is under the bucket.

I'm not sure why I'm worried about legal headlights.... noting else will be legal LOL

Attachments

• DSCF6133.jpg
    DSCF6133.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF6134.jpg
    DSCF6134.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 13
This is my thoughts on headlight /shock brackets. I have these bolt on shock brackets from Pete & Jakes and thought I' bend up some solid 1.250 solid bar stock and saddle it with the bracket. Not sure if these pictures will make any sense.

I'm gona bend off the angle to straight up and the forward....

Attachments

• DSCF6137.jpg
    DSCF6137.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF6139.jpg
    DSCF6139.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 25
I like the set up, Coup. The shock mounts are down close to the base of the bracket, so the the shock doesn't have much leverage on the bracket. This is good because the constant raring up and down of the shock will eventually flex the side of the frame enough times to rip a chunk right out of the frame, if the shock has a lot of leverage up high on the headlight bracket.
Your doing fine.

Dat's some shiney chrome OI.... looks about the same height. Thanks

Thanks lowbudget

Well this might be my last productive post for a bit.....shoulder replacement surgery on Thursday. Left shoulder and I'm righty so this one may be easier and if I can't work one armed I'll have to do some Imagineering as you gents call it.

Made a jig to bent some 90's in some 1 1/4" solid bar stock for the headlight / shock mounts. Have to bend a 25 degree to bring them up where they need to be. Some pictures of the bend.

Attachments

• KIMG0078(4).jpg
    KIMG0078(4).jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 24
  • KIMG0076.jpg
    KIMG0076.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Soltz.

They tell me surgery went great. Same day on last Thursday. Friday morning I wake up and can't breathe well. I'm like here we go again with the blood clots, back to the hospital I go for a CT. Thank good no blood clots in my lungs. [cl

They told me I had pneumonia and treated me with IV Antibiotics for 3 days, then they tell me I didn't have pneumonia and have a collapsed lower lung lobe, gee wiz. Home now and dealing with typical shoulder surgery pain. EKG showed some changes so have to talk to cardiologist.

Back to imagineering..the bottom of my headlight buckets have a stud & a flat.
I believe I'll need a set of concave / convex discs so I can tilt / adjust the buckets. Can I buy these or do I have to machine them? Also has anyone converted buckets from bulb & reflector to LED? If so can you share the source?

Thanks Guys

Headlight / Shock Mounts

Good Evening Gents,

Hope everyone is doing well. Shoulder is out of the sling and I'm 2 sessions in to PT. Little rough moving the shoulder the first time. PT is not going to be easy....but I can do it!

Spent a little time out in the garage today making the second angle bend on the 2nd headlight / shock bracket. Felt good to be out there and hold that torch in my hand....good arm that is.

After heating the bend was easy since I had about 3' of excess material plus a piece of pipe for leverage.

Maybe tomorrow I'll cut everything to size.

Attachments

• DSCF6140.jpg
    DSCF6140.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF6141.jpg
    DSCF6141.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF6144.jpg
    DSCF6144.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 18
"PT is not going to be easy....but I can do it!"(quote couper)
In all you do, that attitude is key! Heal well buddy!

I know the feeling of being back in the shop after surgery.
It seem the shoulder PT takes a little longer than the knee for whatever reason.

So these worked out really well... I used the shock brackets that came with my front end from Pete & Jakes and bent up the 1.25 round bar. I laid the bar between the sides of the bracket and welded her up.

The bolt holes for mounting the bracket will locate about 1/2" from the top and bottom of the frame rails so it should be strong.

Next to machine some adapter rings to accept a 7" Seal Beam unless I can find an LED system to put behind the stock lense.....the stock lense does have a cool vintage color to it. The passenger side lense needs to be slightly rotated.....

Attachments

• DSCF6157.jpg
    DSCF6157.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF6161.jpg
    DSCF6161.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF6163.jpg
    DSCF6163.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF6147.jpg
    DSCF6147.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 23

Thanks for that Hans....

I ordered these today....way too much money but I didn't feel like reinventing the wheel on this. Probally could have gotten all this from the junk yard for 50 bucks.

https://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/...am_Kit_For_1939_Does_Not_Include_Housing.html

My lenses and trim rings have no gasketing and water is going to get in and burn out the bulb. Seal beams although not vintage will solve the problem. Someone on the PORK said they were able to get seal beams behind the stock lenses....we'll see. It's all returnable if it won't work.

Latest posts

Back