another hobby.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.
Dutch, I don't think there's anyone using that small of stuff over here either. This is just for fun.
I was a medium sized farmer and this was my field plow.
I've seen tedders in England and Europe, but not over here, so you can call them whatever you like.

Attachments

• Steiger & 12 bottom.jpg
    Steiger & 12 bottom.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 37
  • big plow.jpg
    big plow.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 40
OI, I could tell you that I picked them all, or, ---- that I am lucky enough to have very few rocks on the whole farm. We picked rocks on some of the fields maybe once in my memory. You're right to think the plow will pull up rocks though.
I asked my brother if he had a field that we could plow a bit on and he said yes. Here we are plowing a pretty rough chunk. It was never plowed with a breaking plow, only field plows, and only once. My test was unique and finally it ended. The soil changes so much in those rolling hillocks, that I had a terrible time keeping the depth right.

Attachments

• IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 24
A field without or very little rock is spotty around here. We've got flint that we have to deal with.
My place is pretty rocky and my Son-in-law's place doesn't have any rock at all until 3 feet down.

I've been talking about testing the tractors and plows, well this is what I was getting ready for; a mini plowday.
The Ferguson didn't cut a wide swath, so there are no pictures of it actually working. I took my daughter's Ford 5000 and a plow also so I had something to fall back on. The ground was very hard and quite wet and horrible to plow. This Ford tractor was my Dads so it is special to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 19
We had an old combine day again this year. I took my '36 pick up and parked beside a '29 Plymouth. The second picture is a '41 International truck that hauled a combine down to Oklahoma during the war years, to start the Harvest Brigade and then hauled grain away from that combine, [picture three, a Massey-Harris 21].

Attachments

• IMG_2903.jpg
    IMG_2903.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2907.jpg
    IMG_2907.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2904.jpg
    IMG_2904.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2906.jpg
    IMG_2906.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 16
I'm running late, but I've needed a potato hiller for a long time, so I'm building one. It started out as a potato digger, [see the spade part in picture two]. I took that part out of the three point hitch mounting triangle and made a backbone for the hiller, so that it fits into the triangle. My plan is to use plow moldboards to scrape dirt in toward the centre on both sides of the potato row. Pic three is a mock-up of some of the hiller.

Attachments

• IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2946.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2947.jpg
    IMG_2947.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2948.jpg
    IMG_2948.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 20
MM-- Your way over my head on building implement equipment. Never used one and for sure would not know how to build it. [;)[;)[;)

I'm pretty well the same 28, only I have watched one U-tube video of a guy using a homemade hiller roaring through his potato patch. This machine is all partly in my head and partly 'by the seat of my pants'. [S[S:D

Quite a bit of fabricating happened today. I've got the left hand side three quarters done. It looks like the previous mock-up, but it is more solid now.

Attachments

• IMG_2949.jpg
    IMG_2949.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2950.jpg
    IMG_2950.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 20
MM - Looking nice, much stronger. As I said before I have no idea what the finish unit will look like. Looking forward to seeing it in action.[cl[cl[cl

I've done a wee bit more welding and some imagineering on the second brace. It needs something holding the back end of the moldboard to the backbone.
28, I hope to test it out this fall, even though I don't need to hill potatoes, this year anymore.

MM-- I'm just an old west coast surfer dude that was never around a farm and have no idea what "hilling potatoes" is, can you enlighten me a bit on the subject? Thanks

What's the plan Merc....are we having a tractor race? Folks tell me that I'm outstanding in the field. I dono....I was just out there standing, didn't know anyone was looking [cl

Latest posts

Back