twin i beam in a rat, any ideas?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

49leadsled

so i have a 68 ford truck cab i narrowed and shortened a bunch and turned in to a roadster cab for my rat. has any one on here ever used a twin i beam front end under a rat a made it look decent? dont have to use it, just thought it might be cool if it could me mounted to my 2x4 box frame and made two look good and work. just a thought

can you make it work ? yes ive seen one .. does it look ok ??? mmmmmmmmm not in my opinion. but im used to seeing the strait axle

zxcv.jpg

ff.jpg

Good link, Neto.

Four of the images included in that article are from our own zzrodder. (WTH - F?)

49leadsled: Notice the width. This will be your stumbling point, unless you narrow the beams...

3-2_beams_on_pickup.jpg

3-11_pickup_beams_chassis.jpg

3-12_pickup_beams_fenders.jpg

3-13_beams_Finished_rolling.jpg

attachment.php

Good eye Doc. I've used the Twin I Beam twice and it works fine though if I were to do it over, I would shorten the axles (no problem to weld them as they are forged steel) or shorten and splice them together to make a solid axle. Ranger Twin I Beam front ends are narrower but use ball joints on the axle ends instead of kingpins (fugly lookin')...
This is the second pickup, built using a 78 Twin I beam front end and heavily modified frame from the same year, on the road now for 13 years.

Attachments

• DSC01178.jpg c.jpg
    DSC01178.jpg c.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 71
I used a Ranger twin-I-beam under a '36 Ford, but then I hid most of it with fenders.
That is my favorite Coronet in the background. [dr

I'll have to agree, that twin I-beam is uglier than an S10 front suspension. Needed to be hidden. Just like mine. :D

Latest posts

Back