Hi, my name is brian

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbudget50

Creators of all things awesome
So I have been at alot of these meetings lately and they dont seem to be helping me at all. If anything that are making it worse!

We are in the midst of moving and the last thing I need is a stray project following me home. But like a stray puppy, they do.

I had a guy offer me a 1 owner car this weekend that his uncle bought new in 1948. When his uncle passed a few years ago this guy ended up with it, never did any of the paper work. So it is still in his uncle's name. That really doesnt bother me, we have ways to get it transferred .

It's a 1948 Chrysler imperial crown limo!!!!
Ran sand drove not to long before his uncle passed. Body is solid, all the light lenses are in tack and 90% of the glass is there. The interior is in sad shape but nothing we can't fix.

I'm thinking get it running and driving and flip it.

What do you other carcaine addiction

Attachments

• KIMG0362.jpg
    KIMG0362.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 134
  • KIMG0363.jpg
    KIMG0363.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 99
  • KIMG0366.jpg
    KIMG0366.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 91
Wow!:cool: :cool: :cool:
The last thing anyone offered me was to punch me in the nose.:eek:
1948 Is my favorite year for post war Chryslers. Beautiful grill on these with a mile long hood.
And a limo to boot.
Some guys have all the luck.
Keep us posted.
[P [P [P
Torchie

new project

l am calling the autoholics meeting to order[ddd

l am skull, (hi skull), today was a bad day, l found a perfect project, a 1948 chevy flat nose plumber van with the wrap around windsheild and they would not sell it to me:(

l guess l am going to have to suffer thru with the ones l have. thank you, next speaker, you have the floor.

*good score*

my friend who passed away recently was a hoarder, sitting rotting away is a whole field of things like caddy limos, caddy convetables, regular caddy's and many different makes of ambulances, odd ball stuff and airport haulers, at last count the auditor's were up to 148 vehicles, so l think maybe we are just amatures and our addiction is not so bad.

the grand kids are going to get almost all the of them and sell them off to people who hopefully can save a few. lots of variety, early 194O's to 198O's. that is not counting the good stuff in the 3 barns, the auditors have not got to them yet, l was not allowed in there when he was alive, not even the man's family went in the barns, l really want to know what he had stashed, l am a good friend of the grand kids so l was invited to poke around soon, BUT N0 PICS they said.

Later :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I dont think we will do a full build. But will be fun to cruise for a bit!!

Some better pics of the car and I got some more info. My dad was the one who looked at it initially. So I went and saw it yesterday. The interior is a complete loss. Some of the faux wood trim is broke and cracked but everything seems to be there. The body is solid and only has minor surface rust in a few spots. The motor is complete but seems to be stuck. We cant turn it over by hand. The guy said his uncle drove it about 5 years ago not to long before he passed. All the trim is there and it has a few small dents in it. Alot of the glass is broke but that can be replaced. I'm hesitant about it cause of the stuck motor and the goofy fluid drive trans. In think I can get the guy down a little on the price but not sure. I will keep you guys posted.

Attachments

• 20190307_160121.jpg
    20190307_160121.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190307_160746.jpg
    20190307_160746.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20190307_161525.jpg
    20190307_161525.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190307_160643.jpg
    20190307_160643.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190307_160359.jpg
    20190307_160359.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190307_160342.jpg
    20190307_160342.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 28
my 2 cents.
The fluid drive trans is a whole different beast. When they work fine they are cool but they also turn a lot of potential buyers off. And like all obsolete stuff. Parts are out there but $$$$ to fix.
Same goes for the flat six. People swear by them but again not cheap to rebuild.
On the good side. That limo looks really solid and if the price was right would be a good base for a project.
I don't think it's going to be a "two week and flip it" special though....
I'd love to get my paws on it LOL
JMHO.
Keep us posted.
p.s. And being a good "Dutch Uncle" I would remind you that you are going to be moving....LOL
Torchie

I'd pass on it. Not a very desirable car to start with, it looks like a total make over will be required. Be easy to put $20,000 in it and it then be worth $5000.:eek: Leave that one to the restorers.

I'd pass on it. Not a very desirable car to start with, it looks like a total make over will be required. Be easy to put $20,000 in it and it then be worth $5000.:eek: Leave that one to the restorers.

For the price I'm able to get it for I believe I could clean it up turn around and sell it and make money. I wouldn't even have to get it running. I do know that the fluid drive transmissions are cool and they work in a pain when they're not. The flat 8 that's in it is also not a desirable motor if it was a couple years newer to have a Hemi in it possibly and that would have been way better. The car is either for someone who wants to completely restore it to factory and spend an assload of money on a car that is not worth it, or the way I see it is it is a prime candidate for either a chassis swap for a suspension upgrade and a modern V8 and automatic transmission. That being said I think cleaned up the way it is the car is probably worth 1500 to 2000. That price if I just cleaned it out and washed it and made it look more presentable I could make money. I know it's not going to be something you're going to get running and flip in a couple weeks. But my wife says I'm like an old lady with cats I cannot leave a stray LOL. I appreciate all your guys as input I'm not sure we are going to jump on it although I would really like to. We have enough stuff lined up for the summer and our way busier than I ever plan to be along with the move.

Well. If the price is right.......[ddd
Us old timers used to call those Transmissions "Semi Automatics.":eek: :D :p
No doubt some one would turn it into a Rat Rod....LOL
Torchie
p.s. Our latest cat came from a lady the shelter refered to as a "Collector".

Well. If the price is right.......[ddd
Us old timers used to call those Transmissions "Semi Automatics.":eek: :D :p
No doubt some one would turn it into a Rat Rod....LOL
Torchie
p.s. Our latest cat came from a lady the shelter refered to as a "Collector".

Hahahahahaha

Its definitely not a restorer car. It would.make a sick rat limo!?!?

I like it LB. My 2 cents are buy it, wash it, and flip it. Agree it would be a cool sled with a cheap 318 and auto trans. [S
[P

Brian,
Did you every hear the expression: " A hole in the water that you pour money into".
NOBODY is going to buy it unless it is running
The interior was the best part of that model Imperial.
If it has rear air that unit is worth 5 times what you paid for the car.
engine- pos, would not be able to keep up with modern cars
trans- bigger pos
Clean and to sell it, try to recoup your investment.
On the other hand.....what a great Rat Rod it would make.....
I would section the body it 4-6 inches, Make it a two door but keep the
wheelbase the same. It may work with no front fenders and slammed.
small hemi...yea...funny car headers.......

weld-on **********[;)

I havnt bought it yet and I think I'm going to disagree with the no one will buy it if it's not running thing. My dad is the one who wanted to get it running and moving I think we just clean it up and flip it it will sell around here non-running as a project for someone who wants to do a swap or whatever. I just sold about six trucks and a bunch of parts that everyone told me I couldn't sell around here also and make good money. Without ripping people off. I'm not looking to get rich on it I would just like to see it gets saved

Latest posts

Back